Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade switch on HP c7000 Blade Enclosure

Brocade.JPG

Hi,

I am new to Brocades so please help me in fixing one issue I am having in my environment. I have a  HP c7000 Blade enclosure which has four Brocade Switch (one of the screenshot from the console attached). All the full height blade servers in Enclosure have four HBAs and each of the HBA interconnects to four Brocade switches internally. On the HP Onboard Admin, I can see HBAs have logged on to the Brocade switch and connection is green. Problem is with connectivity from the SAN side where Storage Admin can not see the WWNs of HBAs. He can only see the WWN of Switch (Highlighted in screenshot in Blue color). I do not have experience in managing Brocade SAN switches and the guy who configured these have left the organization. Can someone please advise where I can focus to fix this issue pls?

Regards,

V S

Occasional Contributor

Re: Brocade switch on HP c7000 Blade Enclosure

My guess is that you problem lies in not having zoned out the HBA's to the storage arrays.

New Contributor

Thanks,

I thought Storage admin would see WWNs from Storage Arrays before zoning.. but my problem is that Storage admin can not see  HBA wwns from the Storage arrays so how he will do the zoning?

Is there anything I can do on Blade SAN Switch like NPIV enable or disable.. only think I know is that Blade Switches are configured in Access Gateway Mode.

If you anyone could share his experiences, would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Vikrant

Occasional Contributor

Are the blades already installed with an OS? Or are they gonna be Boot from SAN?

If there's no OS or you haven't entered the HBA BIOS then it is not logged in to the fabric. Which means no visible WWN's to the storage array or in the name server of the main switch to which you access gateway mode san switch is connected to.

WWN's are only visible to the storage array if:

- The HBA('s) are logged in to the fabric

- There's zoning in place from HBA's to storage array

Regards,

Martien

New Contributor

Thanks MKore for you help,

Blades are to be Booted from SAN for which I have Enabled the Emulex BIOS on all the HBAs. When I check in Onboard Admin, all the HBA wwpns are shown as logged in so looks OK to me. However the Storage Admin can not see these WWPNs from storage arrays. My understanding was that first Storage admin should be able to see the WWNs then only he can do the zoning part. Instead of seeing several WWPNs of Blade HBAs, Storage Admin is seeing the single WWPN of Brocade switch configured in Access Gateway mode.

Regards,

Vikrant

Occasional Contributor

Hi Vikrant,

Try scanning from the HBA BIOS menu, it forces the HBA to login to the fabric. Your storage admin might see the WWPN's of the HBA's then.

Regards,

Martien

New Contributor

Hi Martien,

Thanks for your continuous support and help. When I scan from HBA BIOS, I get following error:

“Error happened during device scan, please check target connection”

This error persist on all the four HBAs present in Blades.

Regards,

Vikrant

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.