Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade san 24b5 2498 ethernet management port is down

[ Edited ]

Hi, I've got 2 Brocade san 24b5 2498 that were previously configured through Fabric Manager.

Then, we changed their location in rack (just moved some units down) and I've figured out that one of management ports is always down.  It is availiable only through console and works perfect, except I cannot connect through Fabric Manager. I'm not a pro in using CLI, so I'd like to return it back.

What i've tried:

• Reboot 
  • Connect with working patch cord from another switch
  • Tried to reconfigure negotiation speed for network port from console

Nothing mentioned above helped. All suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brocade Moderator

Re: Brocade san 24b5 2498 ethernet management port is down

Hello,

Does physical layer on the Ethernet port is up?

You can see it with CLI command: mii-tool -vvv

Sample output of CLI command: mii-tool -vvv

eth0: negotiated, link ok

registers for MII PHY 28:

1140 796d 0020 60c1 01e1 c801 000d 2001

4024 0200 3800 0000 0000 0000 0000 3000

0000 0f00 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000 0000

0400 871c 0000 ffff 0000 2378 0000 0000

product info: vendor 00:08:18, model 524 rev 1

basic mode: autonegotiation enabled

basic status: autonegotiation complete, link ok

capabilities: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD

advertising: 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD 10baseT-FD 10baseT-HD

If physical layer is up and link ok, make sure both end are connect to AN or Full Duplex, then check if you can ping the IP address of the switch from the first gateway and that gateway in on the same network.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

admin> mii-tool -vvv
rbash: mii-tool: command not found

Maybe there is another one I could use? I found only command list  by link below, but it doesn't seem to give me a catch right away. 

http://community.brocade.com/t5/Fibre-Channel-SAN/Brocade-commands/ta-p/2263

Brocade Moderator

Hello,

This command need to be running in root mode.

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
New Contributor

Hi, tzimmerm

Sorry for not replying for a long time. My colleague prepared switch for a first use and couldn't remember root password. I'm going to reset it in a few days, hope it solves my problem. 

Brocade Moderator

Hi Serge,

The ifmodeshow CLI (admin level) also displays ethernet connection status, though less detailed than mii-tool. Further, to look at the IP setting / configuration, you can use the 'ipaddrshow' command.

switch:admin> ifmodeshow eth0

Link mode: negotiated 100baseTx-HD, link ok

MAC Address: 00:60:69Smiley Very Happy0:24:40

If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution".

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.