Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
p.prins39

Brocade for Dummies

Hi,

Are there doc's around to learn how to configure a brocade as a newbie?

I bought this switch to learn and get familiar with the word of FC.

Got a Brocade 3250, few sets of FC cables, a few HBA's a few Servers,......Now what.

Managed to (Default) the switch now i want to get the switch working with the servers.

If i look at the Web Tool i do not have all the tabs at the Admin Module like the Ports tab.

there are only 3 licenses configured, Web, Zoning, Fabric.

Is this enough to get things working?

Who can give me a headstart.

Valued Contributor
TechHelp24

Re: Brocade for Dummies

try with, is a good introduction book for beginners.

www.redbooks.ibm.com/redbooks/pdfs/sg245470.pdf

http://www.brocade.com/data-center-best-practices/bookshelf/Browse.page

and looking - google - for Brocade SAN Design and Best Practices

Additional, Brocade offer , CLI= Command Line Interface Manuals, Fabric Administrator Guide, and WebTools Admin Guide, this are principal DOC.

about you License question, the answer is yes.

Web Zonin and Fabric are Basic License and absolutely enough to get working with.

Webtools LIC is intended for web GUI;

Fabric LIC is intended for build a fabric with TWO or more Switch ISL= Inter Switch Link:

i.e. SW_1 Port_x is connet to SW_2 Port_x there is no preference

Zoning LIC is the feature that mantaining the ZONING and Alias.

Brocade offer some other License like Trunking, Extended Fabric, Fabric Watch, however since the 3250 and 3850 are Small departmental Switch, usually not fit such License by default.

In summary, if is you intention to learn with Brocade, this 3250 is a good start.

if you want to learning other Feature, you should invest a couple of Dollar in a used Brocade 7500 ( no 7500E ) this Plattforms offer most Licensed features. 7500 is a excellent Plattforms to get deeply knowledge with Brocade feature.

Have a fun. 

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor
p.prins39

Re: Brocade for Dummies

TechHelp, Thanx for the links the redbook looks good i find a simular book also from Syngress "Building San's with Brocade"

However these books are only about San and FC theorie (important too)

But what i miss is Hands-On or labs.

Like i got my Brocade ,plugging in the FC cables to HBA' s in a server ,powering up ,logging in on the brocade,.........Now what??

What commands do i give to get things started?,..it's in non of the books.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.