Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade fabric firmware

Hi guys,

I've got a bit of homework in production.

At the moment I've got dual-fabric with Silkworm 4100s connected to two Bladecenter 4Gb SAN modules.

And they are on FOS 5.0.x. ( I know this is way overdue.)

Now I've got another bladecenter chassis full of HX5s with Brocade 8gb SAN modules.

The problem is new Brocade 8gb SAN modules came with FOS 6.4.x.

I know from my research that modules on FOS 6.4.x are not compatible with 5.0.x so I need to update the firmware up to 6.2.x, at least.

Is there a way to ease this process without going through many steps of firmware upgrades, from 5.0.x -> 5.2.x -> 5.4.x...?

If I have to do all firmware upgrades, am I correct to say that I should start from SAN modules then to Silkworm 4100?

Is it correct to say that I should wait on at least a few days after the firmware update?

For example,

1) Firmware update on first SAN module on Bladecenter.

2) Firmware update on second SAN module on Bladecenter

3) Firmware update on Silkworm 4100 of the fabric.

Many thanks for your help.

Regards,

John

External Moderator

Re: Brocade fabric firmware

John,

this procedure is OK, however check by Bladecenter Firmware release Notes about the Blade center management Module.

As fair as I remember, some management FW release must upgrade in mean-steps, otherwise you have not longer access to Brocade Blade Switch.

About:

--->>>Is there a way to ease this process without going through many steps of firmware upgrades, from 5.0.x -> 5.2.x -> 5.4.x...?

the answer is NO!

you must upgrade from 5.0.x -> 5.1.x -> 5.2.x -> 5.3.x and then to 6.0.x and so on.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Re: Brocade fabric firmware

Hi, read the release notes of 5.2.x (and the latest in each major series until the version you want to upgrade to), you can for example upgrade from 5.0.x directly to 5.2.x.

I would not wait one day between each switch. Especially not between each firmware release, that would take very long time! I'd do one fabric at a time (so wait perhaps one day making sure the fabric with the new firmware is OK) but doing the san-switches in your proposed order after eachother (just making sure the switches comes back up between each upgrade would be good).

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.