Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade and NX OS Compatibility

I am hoping for some enlightenment, a relative novice to FC switching although I have administered switches for the last couple of years.

I have connected my Brocade Silkworm 410 (F OS v6.2.1) to a Cisco NX OS 5548 - and daisy chained that to anotehr 5548 and then onto a MDS 9148. On the MDS I have connected an HP C7000 chassis via a HP VC FC 8GB module.

The Brocade switch can see all the Cisco devices and the HP server connected to the MDS however when I create a new Alias for the server HBA and add it to a zone with the SAN I cannot save the config.

The first attempt just seems to timeout, subsequent attempts indicate  "Zoning transaction aborted - bad zone config"

Q1. How do I set up / view any logging?

Q2. Anyone know what issue is please?

Thanks in anticipation.

PS. This is not an ideal configuration but it is an interim solution to allow us to move data centers.

External Moderator

Re: Brocade and NX OS Compatibility

--->>> I have connected my Brocade Silkworm 410 (F OS v6.2.1) to a Cisco NX OS 5548 -.....

--->>> Q2. Anyone know what issue is please?

ISL beetwen FOS and NX-OS based Plattforms are NOT Supported.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

I have a MDS 9124e with 5.0.1a and try to connect it to a Brocade 300 with code 6.3.1c. I wanted to use the Cisco as a npiv bridge. In this case should I downgrade the code on the Ciso switch to level 3x?

Thanks

Geir

External Moderator

If you config the Port as NPIV, NX-OS 5.x should work with Brocade.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Hi

Should I set this only on the isl port on the Cisco switch, or is it a global parameter?

Thanks

Geir

External Moderator

by Brocade NPIV is Still enable by Default.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Ok, I was thinking about the Cisco switch. I want Brocade to be the principal switch.

Thanks

Geir

New Contributor

I was able to connect my MDS to the Brocades by creating a VSAN in Interop-2 Mode and adding the uplink port to it. I then connected the Brocade and the port cones up as an E- Port. I can then see it from the Brocade and zoning can be done from Brocade interface.

Occasional Contributor

I set ut the cisco switch in npv mode, adjusted a few port parameters and it worked. Zoning is done through the Brocade switch. I used interopmode 0 on the Brocade switch.

Geir

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.