Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A

Brocade VF question regarding the configurechassis command

I was reading through the Admin Guide prior to enabling VF on our new DCX switches and noticed the below information regarding the configurechassis command. It states to contact switch provider to determine if this needs to be run and also the value of Config Index. I am running FOS level 6.4.0b. Does anyone have any information on whether or not this needs to be run prior to creating logical switches?

FOS 6.4.0 Admin Guide (page 265)
Configuring logical switches to use basic configuration values
All switches in the fabric are configured to use the same basic configuration values. When you
create logical switches, the logical switches might have different configuration values than the
default logical switch. Use the following procedure to ensure that newly created logical switches
have the same basic configuration values as the default logical switch.
NOTE
For most users, you do not need to run this procedure. Contact your switch service provider to
determine if you need to use this procedure.
You need to run this procedure only once on each chassis, after you enable Virtual Fabrics but
before you create logical switches. The configuration settings are then preserved across reboots
and firmware upgrades and downgrades.
1. Connect to the physical chassis and log in using an account assigned to the admin role with
the chassis-role permission.
2. Enter the following command to ensure that newly created logical switches have the same
basic configuration values as the default logical switch.
configurechassis
3. Enter n at the prompts to configure system and cfgload attributes. Enter y at the prompt to
configure custom attributes.
System (yes, y, no, n): n
cfgload attributes (yes, y, no, n): n
Custom attributes (yes, y, no, n): y
4. Enter the appropriate value at the Config Index prompt. Contact your switch service provider to
determine the appropriate value.
Config Index (0 to ignore): (0..1000) :

Contributor

Re: Brocade VF question regarding the configurechassis command

FYI, I've configured 100s of VF switches and have never had to mess with this setting. 

That's not to say you won't ever have to, simply speaking from my experience.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.