Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade SLKWRM 300 ISL Question?

Can someone tell me if this solution is possible?  I have attached a visio doc to paint a better picture.

I have 2 new Brocade SLKWRM 300's (for redundancy) that are already in production, but I want to create ISL's TO a pair of McData Sphereon 4700's AND to a 2nd set of ISL's to another pair of Brocade SLKWRM 300's.

I want to be able to do all my zoning from my new SLKWRM.

Please note.  the switches, i want to ISL to the new switches are already share an ISL - Mcdata 4700 -> older Brocade 300.

The McData 4700's are in McData Open Fabric 1.0 and the older Brocades are in InteropMode 3 (McData Open Fabric)fabric.JPG

External Moderator

Re: Brocade SLKWRM 300 ISL Question?

sergie,

do you want to Replace the 4700 or just expand the SAN whit this TWO new Brocade 300 ?

And another thing, i never would used the same Domain ID.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

TechHelp24,

I want to KEEP the McData switches.  Basically I have the 2 new switches - each are independant fabrics, for multipathing.

If you look at the lower part of the picture I inserted, each pair of switches is independant from the switch its paired with.

I believe if each fabric is seperate, the domain ID can be the same.  Why is it bad to have the same domain ID?

I want to have my new SLKWRM 300's be principals, and then have 2 ISL's.  One going to an old SLKWRM 300 and the other going to a McData 4700.

Thanks.

SD

External Moderator

--->>> I believe if each fabric is seperate, the domain ID can be the same.  Why is it bad to have the same domain ID?

one day, they want to migrate...

one day, they want to build a single fabric.....

one day, want to have to move a switch from one fabric to the other because one is broken,,,,, or other reason....

and much more....

I've seen it all, and then they have conflicts with the same domain id

and this is the reason why I do not use the same ID

But it is your Decision.

Why do they not keep the old 300 as a principal, and add the both new in the fabric ?

This is a simple methode, and you don't need to re-config the Zoning and cfg

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

To answer you question, I cannot use the old brocade as the principal because it is leased and will be returned to Dell in 1 year.  We own the new Brocade 300 and that is why I need it to be the principal.

Also, the current principal is the old mcdata 4700, not the old brocade 300.

Here is a simplified drawing.  I removed one set of switches, because they are 2 seperate fabrics.

Can someone tell me if lower part of the diagram is possible?  Also when i put a switch into an "interop" mode, do i need to configure the ISL port or is it automatically configured?

fabric2.bmp

External Moderator

--->>> Also, the current principal is the old mcdata 4700, not the old brocade 300.

you can change at any time from Subordinate to Principal or vice-versa w/o any impact.

... it is leased and will be returned to Dell in 1 year.

The draw you post Yesterday show as "Future plans" and not One years plan,

and I do not know or see from the Draw that they want to remove the switch in a year.
--->>> ...do i need to configure the ISL port or is it automatically configured?
ISL will be Build itself when the switch whit One other is connected.
TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.