Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Brocade Network Advisor Alerts

Does any one has a guide or setup infor to monitor port events with brocade network advisor.so far i have enabled email notification and created some default notification, so far nothing coming out to my email, how do i test for

1. Port when offline

2. Port disabled

3. Port exceeds threshold

4.Any other impt events

There is custom MIBS to enable lot of notification but i could find nothing i can test that would generate email when i disable the port ( just testing) i am more interested in port going offline.

Any documents  or info on customizing alerts would help

Contributor

Re: Brocade Network Advisor Alerts

Maybe a dumb question - but is your device authorized to send email via the SNMP server rely?

Contributor

I can receive all kind of frevelous email alert from the BNA server but no port or brocades issue alerts.

I have created multiple event alerts with defaults and custom event and none are generating any thing.

SNMP setup was completed and i have assigned RO access initially and now its RW.

I just dont see any thing worng with config , not sure why its not generating any alerts.

If someone has event examples please let me know

Thanks

If i get a chance i can post the pic of the alerts

Contributor

So far i have done the follwoing

1. Verified server SNMP service where BNA is installed is accepting snmp from any host , service is up ( both snmp & snmp trap listener),

2. Verified that server is listening to SNMP Traffic from any host via

netstat -na|findstr 161

netstat -aon

Output:

UDP    0.0.0.0:69             *:*                                    5060
UDP    0.0.0.0:161            *:*                                    1904

Server firewall has port 161 n 162 exception and its also off.

On the switch:

SNMPv3 USM configuration:
User 1 (rw): snmpadmin1
        Auth Protocol: MD5
        Priv Protocol: noPriv
        Engine ID: 80:00:06:34:03:00:50:56:91:00:56

& SNMP Trap config has valid server ip and port 162 listed.

Event alerts are configured to monitor events on BNA

One port is offline delibratly

No events received so far

i tried using paessler snmp tester V 5.1.2 and althouht i can do Read device uptime it gets an error when reading snmp walk

Note: i have not supplied any MIB or Walk string ( leaving it empty meaning check all)

got an error -2007/-2003

Contributor

It appears my server to switch or switch to server communication for snmp is not working.

I downloaded snmpwalk and try to do test

C:\temp\snmpwalk>SnmpWalk.exe -r:172.16.2.133 SnmpWalk v1.01 - Copyright (C) 2009 SnmpSoft Company [ More useful network tools on http://www.snmpsoft.com ]

%Failed to get value of SNMP variable. Timeout.

But i got a timeout, which does not occur when i run the same software\cmd from my desktop ?

running out of ideas here

Contributor

Re: Brocade Network Advisor Alerts-Update

When i changed my discovery from manaul to auto and reconfigured the switch snmp with auto on BNA my snmpmibwalk works to all the switches now.

Still no sign of any alerts

Contributor

Do i need addtional MIBS imported to BNA ? i could not find any download on Brocade and 3rd party downloads not working, please correct me if i am wrong

I see that several MIBS are preloaded in BNA if you select Traps, so i dont think i need to import addtional MIBS but since i am having issues with getting alerts i cam checking.

So far no events have been received dispite fully configured switches and BNA, if someone has a working document on how to setup BNA V 12 on Windows please let me know, this is getting to be very sticky issue

Contributor

hi

there is a snmptraps --send command which may help you test which traps if any are being recieved by BNA

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.