Fibre Channel (SAN)

Brocade G620 Solution Query

Hello

We are in the process of putting together a datacentre and we are looking at using the Brocade G620 FC Switch for our SANs. I have a couple of questions regarding this solution.

How many G620 switches can be stacked together?

What is the total volume of ISL Trunks that can be configured per stack? 

What use does the Q-Flex Ports bring, other than using them for stacking? From what I've read, they can't be used as breakout cables, which I would assume means we can't easily link to other stacks of switches, unless the switch it is going to has any/enough spare Q-Flex ports?

Just to give a scenario, we are going to be using a 2U Blade Enclosure, which allows 4 sleds. Each enclosure will have a total of 16 FC Connections. Each Rack will have a total of 17 Enclosures, totalling 272 connections. We would need to stack 6 of these switches together for each rack. 

If we have several racks, with the same configuration, what would be the best way of joining these switches to the network core?

Many thanks

External Moderator

Re: Brocade G620 Solution Query

hello @DARKOCEAN

i don't have som edetails on the hand about Q-Flex port and staking, but I'll provide to find the Information required and post here.

however, you want to:

>> Each Rack will have a total of 17 Enclosures, totalling 272 connections.

>> We would need to stack 6 of these switches together for each rack. 

I would suggest you get in touch with a local Brocade SE to discuss wath a better solution.

I-m quite sure that not make any sense economically to stack 6 Switches, for a simple reason all switch must be license as full POD and all Q Flex Port must be Licensed.

since you want to Stack also form a Fabric, I think at 99,999% it make more sense to discuss here a bout X6 Class Director.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Re: Brocade G620 Solution Query

Hi,

G620 does not Support stacking. No one of the Brocade FC-Switches Support stacking.

G620 has no Q-Flex Ports. You mean the QSFP-Ports, which have 4 Ports at 32Gbps each in one QSFP.

Antonio is coreect that you have to think about X6 Director
Kind Regards
Ralf

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.