Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade FOS Upgrade Paths

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know if there is some kind of FOS Upgrade Path document somewhere. What I look for is the supported way to upgrade different switches from a certain level of FOS for example ver. 5.1.0 --> 6.3.0 or so ....

Thanks in Advance...

Best Regards,

Thomas !

External Moderator

Re: Brocade FOS Upgrade Paths

--->>> What I look for is the supported way to upgrade different switches

In the release Notes, or post here the "Exact" Switch Name all the switch you intend to upgrade, and you get the exact Info which you need whit the exact FOS release which are Supported.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi TechHelp ....

Thank you for your answer .... and thank you for your help....

Well i know about the release notes and supported level, but i cannot find anywhere some kind of document describing which FOS versions it is nescessary to "land on" before continuing towards the final goal ... normally i know that you have to go through 1 step pr. feature release, but some of theese can be bypassed and so .... so could be nice with some document describing the absolutely nescessaryu steps ...and THAT info i cannot find anywhere.

Best

/Thomas !

External Moderator

Thomas any General Documents is not Available.

--->>> What I look for... / ....from a certain level of FOS for example ver. 5.1.0 --> 6.3.0 or so ....

Brocade say:

Firmware Upgrades and Downgrades
Brocade does not support upgrading from more than two previous releases.

For example, upgrading from Fabric OS v5.0.x to v5.2.x is supported, but upgrading from Fabric OS v4.4.0 or a previous release directly to v5.2.x is not.
Upgrading a switch from Fabric OS v4.4.0 or a previous release to v5.2.0 requires a two-step process:

first upgrade to v5.0.x or v5.1.x and then upgrade to v5.2.0.

You can also Upgrade from 5.1 to 5.3 to 6.0 to 6.1 to 6.2

( to 6.3 only if the Switch is Supported )

Please note, some 4GB Switches are not longer Suported in 6.3

I hope this help.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi again TechHelp....

Thank you for your quick and precise answer .... it is very helpfull.

Will all upgrades then be guaranteed non-disruptive when following the brocade rules (max. two releases at a time) ???

Thanks in advance...

Best

/Thomas !

External Moderator

Thomas,

-->>> Will all upgrades then be guaranteed non-disruptive

non-disruptive this is a word, and never-end-story.

It is not caused by a Two Digit release Update and not have any impact whit the Release.

...some time work ...some time no. You drive the boat, an not the boat you

I can not give you any warranty, but in the most case when you have a good planning and a good Window time ( and patience )  before begin whit Upgrade ....everything working smoothly.

It'll work, do not panic

God luck. 

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.