Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 6510 no license keys?

I just installed two Brocade 6510's, there was no license certificate in the box. The licenseshow command returns no license key's.

Do the switches have 24 ports by enabled by default on 8gb FC if so is there a document to show this. I connected a SAN to the Fabric and it came online, its more for internal documentation purposes that I require this

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade 6510 no license keys?

The 6510 has 24 port by default, the remaining port are enabled in 12 port increments by installing a pod license.

A "switchshow" on the CLI will shows you the unlicensed ports.

As far as I can recall, there's no additional license required for adjusting speeds.

If the port came up as 8 it's probably the highest speed the connected device can reach.

http://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/data_sheets/product_data_sheets/6510_DS.pdf

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

just few words about port speed.

The port/line speed is not depend form any license.

Actual port speed is depend at least form two factors.

First factor is a media type. In a 6510 you can use three different (8Gb, 10Gb and 16Gb) SFP+.

they will limit the port speed maximum value.

Another factor is a connected port speed. By default brocade switches are using auto negotiation. So the connected port (HBA, next switch...) can limit The port speed too.

The "switchshow" command is a good starting point, really.

regards,

Lajos

Contributor

Hmmm as far as i know the 10G FC is subject to licensing.....2,4,8,16 are 'free'

regards

Uli

Occasional Contributor

Sorry, it was my mistake!

Thanks for the correction Uli!

Br

Lajos

New Contributor

This doesn't help me still... Im trying to work out why the 360's we have show 8gb FC ad 24 port license but the 6510 show no license is there any documents written about this? As I need it signed off internally

External Moderator

mbaker3,

1) 6510, ( the same 6505 and 6520 ) , is Native 16G, no speed License is required  - excepted as mentioned by Uli -, if you want to use 10G you need additional License

2) Total of 24 Port in 6510 are enable Native by default, there is no License required, this is the reason you cannot see or find in licenseshow any Port/POD License for this 24 based Port.

3) if the switch work current as 8GB, there are two reason:

a) Port's are populated with 8G SFP+ ( sfpshow command give the output about installed SFP )

b) Port's are populated with 16G SFP+, however attached device are 8G Capable, and this is the reason the Port

show as 8G Speed

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Perfect! Yeh I under stand about the speeds ect it was only around the license key That cleared it up

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.