Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

Brocade 6510 Management Port Change

[ Edited ]

I have two Brocade 6510 (HP SN6000B) SAN switches connected to a network switch.  I need to move the connections to another switch but when I do so, I can't communicate with the 6510.  I've verified speed/duplex, VLAN info etc. -- both ports (the before and after) are configured the same.  In fact, both switches are the same make/model/software version.  I've even tried the same cable.  When I plug the 6510 back into the original switch communication resumes.

Is there anything on the 6510 that might stop it from comminicating and any way to reset the Ethernet/management port as a test?  It's definitely weird.

Kernel: 2.6.14.2
Fabric OS: v7.3.2
Made on: Tue Feb 16 23:11:20 2016
Flash: Tue Apr 26 07:02:18 2016
BootProm: 1.0.11

Brocade Moderator

Re: Brocade 6510 Management Port Change

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Can you provide more detailed information about the move you would like to do?

Concerning the 2x 6510, I understand they are connected to an Ethernet management switch that is working fine with but you would like to replace?

When you try to move the 2 Ethernet management of the 6510 to a new Ethernet management switch without changing something on the 2x 6510 it is not working, right?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Occasional Contributor

Thierry...thanks for responding!

I'm just moving the management connection from one switch (HP 3810) to another switch (also an HP 3810). The ports are configured identically. When I look at the port statistics on the 3810 after I move the connection I see transmit (TX) packets but no receive (RX) from the Brocade 6510. When I move it back, I see normal TX/RX.
Brocade Moderator

Are you using the same IP address on 3810 Ethernet switches?

Does the Ethernet cable is the same and working correctly?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Brocade Moderator

[ Edited ]

When connected to the working 3810 can you run the following commands on Brocade switches:

ifconfig -a

route

arp -n

mii-tool -vv eth0

ethtool --statistics eth0

ip -s link

Run same commands when connected to the 3810 where it is not working and share outputs.

Occasional Contributor

Thierry,

Well I fixed the problem but it's curious why it happened. Here's what I did:

1. Started a continuous ping from my workstation to the Brocade FC switch to verify connectivity.

2. Moved the management connection from the first ethernet switch to another (3810-#1 to 3810-#2). At this point I stopped receiving ping replies.

3. I connected to the console port of the Brocade switch, logged in as root, and did a ping to the default gateway. Ping replies resumed.

I've seen this before when things change at Ethernet layer-3 in that an ARP entry doesn't refresh as quickly as it should. That shouldn't have been the case here since this was a straight Layer-2 change and the ARP entries at the L3 switch wouldn't have changed in any case.

Definitely weird but I repeated the steps on the other switch and both are now working correctly on the new Ethernet switch.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.