Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 4900

Hi,

I have a re-baged Brocade 4900 which is running 5.1.2 and I want to upgrade it to 6.2.2 (what a longer upgrade path).

But I point of question is that running HASHOW and HAENABLE shows that the unit does not support inline upgrades, no actual down time of software load. This only being supported on Director style switches.

However on Brocade's own flyer (4900_DS_04) the say :

"Meets high-availability requirements with redundant, hot-pluggable components, non-disruptive software upgrades, and hot code activation"

Which to me would mean that HA is supported but how ?

Does any one have a definitive anwser.

Many thanks

External Moderator

Re: Brocade 4900

beckiw

Fabric OS 5.3.x

For each non-director-class platform in your fabric, complete all firmware download changes before
issuing the firmwaredownload command on the next switch to ensure a nondisruptive download.

Fabric OS 6.3.x

Upgrading from FOS v6.x to FOS v6.3 is non-disruptive. User can enable ethsw after
upgrade without FC traffic interruption.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Hi,

So are you saying that once we are on 6.X, using the cammand "ethsw" ensures a Fabric Firmware switch without a reboot of the Switch, thus ensuring continuse Fabric activity on the Switch being upgraded ?  The HA option is a Director command.

5.X upgrade is as I thought, disruptive

Just so I undersatnd.

Many thanks

External Moderator

My experience is, switches which are not member any fabric, upgrade was disruptive.

Upgrading from FOS v6.x to FOS v6.3 is non-disruptive.

the command "ethsw" is not supported in 4900 switch, but can be used for non-disruptive in supported switches if "fosconfig" was executed.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.