Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 48000 BB_Credit Zero reporting high numbers

We are seeing a high number of BB_Credit Zero number for a specific port, host to storage when that host runs an "R-Man backup.

The setup:

2 Brocade Directors 48000 class, (A - side and B - side)

storage is on an IBM FastT, (4300 express) through a SVC.

Cache settings on the FastT are set for read and write and the cache block size set to 16k

Currently to write a 64GB backup it is taking about 60 minutes.

Two questions.

1 - Is this normal operation?

That is to see high valu in the BB_Credit Zero when the rman is running

2 - Is there anything I can do to correct this?

Thank you

Super Contributor

Re: Brocade 48000 BB_Credit Zero reporting high numbers

You need to give some idea of the topology before I can think on what can be done.

Two questions.

1 - Is this normal operation?That is to  see high valu in the BB_Credit Zero when the rman is running

I wouldnt worry too much if the counter is rising on a F port. I usually track these stats on a E port only. However if there is too much depletion of BB credits on a particular port, it can cause problems such as drop of frames etc. and cause IO timeouts.

2 - Is  there anything I can do to correct this?

If you provide me an idea of the topology then I can try giving some suggestions. Increasing locality can help sometimes.

The 4300 is not a very powerful storage and hence you can't expect too much out of it. Also note that backup performance depends on a variety of factors and most times you need to look at the backup host or the host itself for answers.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.