Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 4024 (HP brocade 4/24 san switch) question

Hi all!

I have a customer with 2 HP c7000 blade chassis, both equipped with 2 brocade 4724 san switches/chassi.

Chassi 1 is already connected to a HP EVA 4400 (HSV300 controller 4 port).

Now they want to connect the second chassi to the Eva, how is that best done?

Can I connect chassi 2 to chassi 1 and create zones that connect chassi2 to eva? How do I zone that, what is the drawbacks?

If that is a stupid/impossible way to do it, how should I do, buy a new san switch and connect both chassis and eva to that? Or since it is 4 connection from chassi 1 to hsv300 should I remove 2 of them and connect chassi number2 and then connect chassi 1 and 2 to each other? How do I zone that.

All suggestions appreciated

Best regards

Lennart Johansson

Valued Contributor

Re: Brocade 4024 (HP brocade 4/24 san switch) question

Can I connect chassi 2 to chassi 1 and create zones that connect chassi2 to eva?

Yes you can ISL switches from chassis1 to chassis2 (keep in mind that you'll overprovision your ISL by doing so. Should that be(come) a problem just add another ISL

How do I zone that, what is the drawbacks?

Just the same as you doing now, using CLI or Webtools or DCFM. I already mentioned the drawback >> oversubscription.

If that is a stupid/impossible way to do it, how should I do, buy a new san switch and connect both chassis and eva to that?

If you wish you could buy another switch but its not necessary.

Or since it is 4 connection from chassi 1 to hsv300 should I remove 2 of them and connect chassi number2 and then connect chassi 1 and 2 to each other? How do I zone that.

I wouldn't ISL the switches in this scenario. I would only remove a connection per hsv controller from chassis1 an connect those to chassis2.

Then zoning would be done on a per switch basis.

New Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply. Me being daft. Could you recommend one or the other? If I go for ISL (Inter Switch Link?) can anybody point me to documentation or a howto (I will google but anyway).

Is it down to redundant paths throughput?

Best regards

Lennart Johansson

Valued Contributor

Hi,

I can't recommend the one or the other as I don't know, among things, your business needs.

It's up to you or your team to decide whats best.

On one hand having four different zone configs to manage will isolate faults but adds to the management load.

On the other hand ISL has less zoning management load but you'll have to watch over the ISL and perhaps ad another ISL, which you might want to trunk, which will cost you a license. (btw what license do you have?, did you for example bought the powerpack switches?)

But HP does have an nice SAN Design Reference Guid to help you http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=406734&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport1.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc00403562%2Fc00403562.pdf

But ISL'ing is basically making sure that the switches to be added have an empty zone db but compatible fabric.ops.

switchdisable on the new switch, isl old and new switch, switchenable and the new switch merges in the fabric.

From that point on you can zone your hosts from chassis2 to the EVA.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.