Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem failure after firmware upgrade

Hello, Everybody,

I need Your help concerning following issue:

As usual everything was going well until I started update of firmware on two Brocade 4/12 SAN Switches for HP c-Class BladeSystem. Update was intended to make all fabric switches have the same major firmware version (6.x). First switch I upgraded smoothly(with the following path - v5.0.5 > v5.1.0c> v5.2.1b > v5.3.0d > v6.0.1a > v6.1.2b > v6.2.1). But after upgrade of the second switch from v5.2.1b to v5.3.0d switch has gone into reboot and didn`t came up anymore.

So, I tried to connect to switch via Onboard Administrator serial console but nothing came out of it.

The only thing I could see on the console is the following text:

The system is coming up, please wait...

Read board ID of 0x88 from addr 0x23

Read extended model ID of 0x1c from addr 0x22

Matched board/model ID to platform index 10

Matched board/model ID to platform index 13

ESC doesn`t work to break into boot menu. And I`m stuck at this point.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Super Contributor

Re: Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem failure after firmware upgrade

First of all you could have upgrade FOS from 5.0.x >>5.2.x>>6.0.x>> 6.1.x>>6.2.x

try to take another telnet and check with firmwardownloadstatus cmd

Now from onboard admin, you can reboot the chassis.That is the only thing you can do. Mind it in chassis based product, SAN admins hardly can do any trouble shooting. Also contact ur SW vendor immediately.Anyway since it is a different fabric, you can keep the lowest FOS unless until you find a solution for the same.

New Contributor

Re: Brocade 4/12 SAN Switch for HP c-Class BladeSystem failure after firmware upgrade

Dear Sir,

Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I tried to apply firmware the way you recommend but every time I started upgrade from 5.0.x > 5.2.x there was clear warning to upgrade to version 5.1.x first. The same situation was for 5.2.x > 6.0.x - upgrade to 5.3.x first.

I have already rebooted switch several times with no effect. As I mentioned above switch provides only following message after reboot:

The system is coming up, please wait...

Matched board/model ID to platform index 10

Matched board/model ID to platform index 13

Super Contributor

--->>> ESC doesn`t work to break into boot menu. And I`m stuck at this point.

Available dump File caused such error by FOS v5.0.x, Such  Dumpfile must be removed before begin with "firmwaredownload" with the command "savecore".

A this Point don't make any sense to continue with Upgrade, no Chance.

You may have to replace the Blade Switch.

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Thank you.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.