Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Brocade 3900 - F-port and FL-port connections at the same time

Hi there. I have two Brocade 3900 switches (EMC DS-32B2 rebranded), each there own fabric. Our shop consists of HP servers, both DL and BL series. The DL servers connect to the fabric as F-Port connections. The BL35p servers connect to the fabric as FL-Port connections (the BL35p can only do loop connections). Now EMC has told me that I am running in an unsupported configuration because the 3900 switches do not support having both F-Port and FL-Port connections running at the same time to the same switch. The switches are running firmware version 5.1.0a. I really don't believe EMC on this one. Is anyone running a similiar configuration? Does anyone know if Brocade supports this configuration?

External Moderator

Re: Brocade 3900 - F-port and FL-port connections at the same time

Hi Kris,please see attach!

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I am not sure what EMC is talking about. If the switch did not support FL ports then you would not get a PLOGI or FLOGI, but because you said that it is logged in as an FL port then your config is good. I ran into a similar situation where a McData switch was not licensed for loop and the server (BL35p) was not able to see its storage at all.Duane

External Moderator

Duane see for details in the 3900 Datasheet, and by Brocade is not necessary to Licensed this Features Optional.

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thanks guys for all your help! EMC has told me that they will only support my configuration if I place another switch in between the BL35p's and the 3900's... go figure... EMC is happy with this since there will be no FL connections to their switches... only F and E.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.