Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 3800 Password

Hi,

I have a storage migration project where we need to replace a set of 3800 switches, storage system etc. Problem is the customer doesn't know the passwords of there existing systems.

We need to migrate them with best no interruption which is hardly possible without being able to check the existing infrastructure and system, allthough we can restart systems, this doesn't give us access.

We tried the usual:

admin/root/factory accounts with the usual passwords: password/fibranne/Serv4EMC/Fact4EMC

I know the 3800 are EOL and EOS but is there any way to get at least the password reset for one of the boxes somehow, so we can get the info on there existing config out?

I know the only way for 3800 is the password reset file/string, but how to get that without support?

Any help would be highly appreciated...

Yves

Frequent Contributor

Re: Brocade 3800 Password

It depends on whether or not you've set the Boot PROM password. If none is set you can reset the root/admin passwords, if one is set and not known you must get that Boot PROM recovery string to Brocade Support and they will provide you with a challenge that you can enter to get passed the Boot PROM password prompt.

In case no Boot PROM password is set the procedure is fairly simple. If you like I can send you the instructions via Email, since I'm not sure whether there's a policy here with regards to publishing that type of document.

Occasional Contributor

I do not have access at the moment, but again tomorrow. If you could post it, then I will test it, as far as I have seen and remember the boot prom is accessible.

If you could mail the instructions to y.sandfort (AT) comdivision.com

Many thanks in advance

Frequent Contributor

Done.

Occasional Contributor

Hi Christophe,

sorry but that was the documentation I found already, it works with newer switches or if like with the 3800 and VxWorks you need to have the recovery firmware, which as far as I remember is only available from Brocade (which they do only for customers with support).

So I am back to the question if anybody knows a way to get that firmware or any other way on how to reset the passwords on a 3800?

Thanks

Yves

Valued Contributor

Why do you need them, what are you trying to accomplish?

You're saying that they are going to be replaced anyway and it doesn't sound like you have a big environment to rebuild from scratch or by reverse engineering?

If you want the zoning database you could ISL an supported switch/w fos with known uid/pw combo and let it merge with your fabric.

If you're after the switch settings again you could ISL a switch and distribute your known passwords across the fabric and login afterwards, but am unsure if that could work on a 3800.

External Moderator

--->>>....if anybody knows a way........to reset the passwords on a 3800?

No way excepted the Recovery String from Brocade, with Active Maintenance Contract.

You can test this Procedure, but as fair as i remember was only valid for 2xxx Series.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I want two thinks:

a) know what the exact current settings are, the customer has a very heterogene environment with all mixed up (x86, sun, ibm etc.) and best to be sure to easily migrate everything would be to ensure at least we know all port settings and potential issues upfront. If I know a port causes issues at the moment I can show that as a risk before migration. If I migrate and then we encounter problems it will become my/our problem as the customer will argue it always worked.

b) yes I wanna know the zoning etc. settings too, not necessarily to replicate, but to ensure we don't get surprises.

The idea of pushing switch settings sounds interesting, you mean that if I would buy a used one from ebay with a known password, link that with the existing ones we could push the passwords etc.? Could you elaborate a bit more on that approach, as that might solve our issues, I don't have a problem spending a few hundred euros on a 3800 just to ensure we know what we get ourselfes into...

Thanks

Yves

Occasional Contributor

No active maintenance contract, so we are out of luck... Maybe I try the other approach on there backup box to see if that destroys it or works... But as far as I remember that is a 2800 approach only...

I am still annoyed by such a problem, I mean the customer bought the box, it should be possible to reset passwords. It is possible on smaller and also on all current boxes...

Valued Contributor

I understand your frustration, but the customer should have kept the password in a safe place to begin with.

A) be aware that copying settings from your old switches could result in other issues, as setting change are removed or introduced.

As to the procedure to distribute your passwords. If done it on more recent models but is should also work on older models depending on the FOS level.

First you'll need to know if the current FOS,  i'll need v5 or higher to be able to distribute passwords.

I don't know if a 3800 will run v5, perhaps someone else can answer that but if its no you will need support by you vendor.

Meanwhile we can continue with the zoning information.

For that you have to merge a good compatible switch into your fabric.

Since the settings are unknown we have to assume all port are E port capable and switch settings are the same.

If not the fabric will segment the new switch, hopefully with any understandable error.

First off make sure the switch setting are default and the zonedatabase is empty.

1-Execute configdefault for a subset of settings to be reset.

You can use configure to walk through switch setting.

2-Reboot is asked.

3-cfgshow will show the running config on your new switch, if none shows up there is no config goto 7.

4-cfgdisable {cfgname from 3}

5-cfgclear (deletes all zoning conifurations)

6-cfgsave (commits changes to memory)

7-switchdisable

8-connect the two switches

9-switchenable

At this point you new switch wil have merged in the fabric and use commands like configshow or configupload to get you zone information.

If your fabric segmented, disconnect your new switch, read the reason why correct it and start at 3.

disclaimer:: standard I'm not reponsible if things go wrong message, no guarantees it will work perhaps you should cut your losses and start anew.

You know your hosts and thus HBA config visible LUN's etc. The same applies to your storage disk or tape. With that information you can rebuild your zoning information without the need for switch access. As for the switch settings, look at vendor requirements and best practises. The only things that could spell trouble is if the domain id is used by your OS (HPUX for exemple, which is could be blessing at the same time because you will know your did's by then) to identify devices.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.