Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 300 Setup Help

Just received my first two fiber switches that I am going to be setting up.  I have never setup a fiber switch before so I apologize for any mediocre/stupid questions.

With that said, I have two Brocade 300 (HP Storage Works 8/24) switches.  I also have 2 HP B Series Fiber switches in my c7000 chassis.  I have gotten as far as connecting the b series switches to each of the 300's (300's are not connected to each other directly).  If I don't create any zones, a server I am using to test connectivity can see our T120 Spectralogic tape drive. The strange thing is it is seeing two medium changers and 4 drives even though I only have one medium change and two drives.  So this leads me to believe something isn't right.

In addition, I have tried to create two zones.  A storage zone and a backup zone.  I can create the alias, zone, and zone config, but upon applying my test server doesn't see the T120 anymore.  I am hard zoning so that the first 8 and last 6 ports are the storage zone and the middle 10 ports are the backup zone.  I have confirmed that the server is plugged into a port in the same zone as the T120, but still no go.

In addition, I have a question about having a server cabled to a single fiber port, and that port being able to see devices in both my storage and backup zone.  Can a single port be in two different aliases, and therefore two different zones?

So to sum it up, my questions are:
1)  What do I need to do to successfully connect the four switches together (perhaps this is already done as I see all 4 switches under my Fabric when I log into the switch)?
2)  What do I need to do to correctly configure the zones?
3)  Can a single port be in two different aliases, and therefore two different zones in order to be able to talk to resources on each zone?

Regular Contributor

Re: Brocade 300 Setup Help

Hi and welcome to fibre world Smiley Happy

"The strange thing is it is seeing two medium changers and 4 drives even though I only have one medium change and two drives. "

This is because the server is in both fabrics, so it has two paths to everything. This is good but you want use multipathing / MPIO.

1) Could you post the output of fabricshow? If that has four switches in it then all four switches are indeed connected. But as your server can see two media changers I suppose they are separate. Do you really want to connect them? If they are not connected that means you can service one fabric without interrupting the service which is golden in my experience.

2)  What do I need to do to correctly configure the zones?

You were using hard port zoning. Hard zoning is using either "Domain ID, Port ID" or "WWN" hosts, not both.

After you create the zoning configuration, you also need to enable it. Perhaps that's what was missing?

3)  Can a single port be in two different aliases, and therefore two different zones in order to be able to talk to resources on each zone?

Yes, an alias can be in several zones.

Occasional Contributor

SAN_Core1:root> fabricshow
Switch ID   Worldwide Name           Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1: fffc01 10:00:50:eb:1a:0a:fc:03 10.1.7.221      0.0.0.0         "SAN_Core1"
  2: fffc02 10:00:50:eb:1a:06:64:1b 10.1.7.222      0.0.0.0         "SAN_Core2"
 11: fffc0b 10:00:00:05:1e:c9:5e:dc 10.1.210.76     0.0.0.0         "c7000Switch1"
 12: fffc0c 10:00:00:05:1e:80:7f:01 10.1.210.77     0.0.0.0        >"c7000Switch2"

The Fabric has 4 switches

Thanks for your reply.  The above is the result of my fabric show.  The strange thing is that when I clear the configuration, then save the config and enable is when the one server sees double the medium changers/tape drives.  When I zone things out, thats when it doesn't see any.

My process for creating the zones is adding ports to an alias, alias to a zone, zones to the zone config, save config, enable config.  Unfortunately it appears that when I create the zones is when it appears that two devices on ports in the same zone don't see each other.  I have assigned different domain ids to each switch.

SAN_Core1 is domain id 1

SAN_Core2 is domain id 2

c7000Switch1 is domain id 11

c7000Switch2 is domain id 12

Thoughts on where I am going wrong?

Occasional Contributor

Also, I have not configured a fabricname so the result of my fabricname --show is:

SAN_Core1:root> fabricname --show
Fabric Name is not configured

Could that be my issue?

Occasional Contributor

Actually I think I just found my error.  When I was configuring the zones, I was doing it on one of the switches via zone admin.  It was only displaying the single switch.  I thought the config flowed across all switches but in doing some review, see that my 2nd switch has ports like 2,0 that I have not added to any aliases.  So I assume I just need to go to each switch and add their ports to the correct aliases.

If that is correct (which I am testing now) is there a better single point of management that I could do this for all switches at once?  I.E. see all the switches within a single zone admin so that I can add the ports of each switch to the correct alias at the same time?

Occasional Contributor

Sorry for the machine gun of responses but now I have another question as I am thinking things through.  If I have a server plugged into both core servers and then both c7000 switches plugged into both core switches all running under a single fabric, do I have a single point of failure?  Or will the multiple paths allow for redudancy typical with an Ethernet switch?

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

"The strange thing is that when I clear the configuration, then save the config and enable is when the one server sees double the medium changers/tape drives."

This is because the default is all sees all, this can be changed with defzone command. See "defzone --show". It might be possible to change in the Web GUI too, haven't checked.

You do not have to configure a fabricname.

"Actually I think I just found my error.  When I was configuring the zones, I was doing it on one of the switches via zone admin.  It was only displaying the single switch.  I thought the config flowed across all switches but in doing some review, see that my 2nd switch has ports like 2,0 that I have not added to any aliases.  So I assume I just need to go to each switch and add their ports to the correct aliases."

It should be enough to just change the config on one switch, try doing the zoning from the principal switch. Looks like that switch might be segmented - not in the fabric somehow? What are the Fabric OS versions on the switches?

"Sorry for the machine gun of responses but now I have another question as I am thinking things through.  If I have a server plugged into both core servers and then both c7000 switches plugged into both core switches all running under a single fabric, do I have a single point of failure?  Or will the multiple paths allow for redudancy typical with an Ethernet switch?"

Well, the fabric is a kind of SPOF I guess. Something can go wrong in one fabric, for example bad FOS update, some device start sending out bad frames can cause problems. In those cases it is nice to be able to for example remove a server from the fabric with issues while continuing troubleshooting.

By the way, as you're doing connectivity to tape drives and such, you want to make sure that as few servers as possible have access to the tape drives. This is good for performance. I would go for more restrictive zones. Like, "backup_server1, tape drive1". 

p.s. I really would have liked the possibility to just click on one of your posts and be able to quote it Smiley Happy

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.