Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor

Brocade 300 Fans running really high RPMs yet temp ok

We have a Brocade SLKWRM 300.

Looking at my brocade fan status via CLI they all report as OK however the fan speed is really high, constantly fluctuating and increasing in RPMs over the last few weeks. What could be going on and how to alleviate the fans on constant high speed? My concern is the brocade shutting down.

What does Brocade consider "high" RPMs for the fans?

It looks like the temperature of the brocade is "fine" however the fans are running at extremely high RPMs (9000 and higher). My other brocades are running in the range of 7800 RPMs.

I have tried to redirect the air flow in the rack as the brocade sits on top of a server and the brocade is at the top of the rack - it only helps a little.

Here are outputs:

brocade:root> sensorshow
sensor  1: (Temperature) is Ok, value is 24 C
sensor  2: (Temperature) is Ok, value is 23 C
sensor  3: (Temperature) is Ok, value is 24 C
sensor  4: (Fan        ) is Ok,speed is 9246 RPM
sensor  5: (Fan        ) is Ok,speed is 9121 RPM
sensor  6: (Fan        ) is Ok,speed is 9000 RPM
sensor  7: (Power Supply) is Ok

brocade:root> tempshow
Sensor  Sensor  State           Centigrade     Fahrenheit
  ID        Index
==========================================================
  1            0          Ok                  24                 75
  2            1          Ok                  23                 73
  3            2          Ok                  24                 75

Brocade Moderator

Re: Brocade 300 Fans running really high RPMs yet temp ok

Hi,

the values are little high but still within the normal operation range, so not high from the level of 300 (check the fan speed at time at boot time for high speed). Is any of the other switches running at 7800 RPM a 300 switch?

kind regards,

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

Thank you for your reply Martin.

So 9000 RPM range are on the high side but in acceptable range and not concerning, is that correct?

We have a total of 4 Brocade 300 switches. Only this one is running between 9000-9250 RPM for all 3 fans. The second brocade next to this brocade (same physical location, sitting above this brocade) is running between 7850-7950 RPMs for all 3 fans.

The other 2 brocade 300s are at our other datacenter (states away) and they are running between range of 7500-7750 RPMs for all 3 fans.

What is the "normal operation range" for fan RPM speed? I've been trying to find that to know what #'s are outside the normal range and are now critical alerting to pending brocade failure - I have not been able to find this info.

Thank you!

Brocade Moderator

Hi,

correct. The 9000 RPM is in high range but still within the acceptable / normal threshold. That is all I can provide.

If you look at the internal temperatur sensor for this 300, is similiar or higher compared to the other 300s?

Any and all information provided by me is not reviewed, approved or endorsed by Brocade and is provided solely as a convenience for Brocade customers. All systems and all networks are different and unique. If you have a service affecting network problem, please open a TAC service request for service through Brocade, or through your OEM equipment provider. If this provided you with a solution to this issue, please mark it with the button at the bottom "Accept as solution"
Contributor

The internal temperature for this 300 compared to the other 300's is the same, all 3 Sendor IDs are registering between 23C to 25C. captured with tempshow.

This is why is seemed odd that this 300 in question is reporting Sensor ID temps the same as others (75°F to 77°F) yet the RPMs are much higher (9000 RPM vs 7800 RPMs).

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Update: Brocade stated the Normal Range for fan speed is between 2,500 to 13,000 RPMs.

So at a 9200 RPM on my one brocade I am well within spec.

I have attached the range screenshot Brocade provided me in case any one else is interested.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.