Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 300-FOS update question

Hi all,

I'm a new member here and I have a quick question on updating the FOS on Brocade 300.

I am currently running two Brocade 300s (8Gig FC) in a production environment.

The current FOS on them is v6.2.1b

I plan on updating both of them in the following order:
v6.2.1b(current fw)—v6.2.2f—v6.3.2e—v6.4.3d—v7.0.2cv7.1.0c(latest fw).

Would this roadmap be non-disruptive? is there any risk of ports going offline during the updates?

I've read through the FOS target path doc but it didn't explicitly mention non-disruptive vs disruptive paths. Any help in finding some sort of official documentation would be really helpful.

Note: I'm using IBM Network Advisor for the updates.

Thank you all for making this forum such a valuable tool for us newbies.

Andy

Frequent Contributor

Re: Brocade 300-FOS update question

Hi Andy,

The release notes are a good source for this kind of information.

There is usually a section called "FOS Migration Considerations" in the release notes

that you should review first to validate your specific SAN environment.

-Bill

Occasional Contributor

hi bill, thanks for the info. I've been looking over the notes for all FOSs I mentioned.

Usually the text in the migration considerations says, no special steps required. does that mean it is a non-disruptive update?

for eg: the release notes on 6.2.2f says "For units currently operating at FOS v6.1.x, there are no special steps required to migrate to FOS v6.2.2f.".

I am currently on v6.2.1b, so would this mean the update is going to be non-disruptive?

Frequent Contributor

Non disruptive upgrade to FOS v6.2.x firmware would be supported only from FOS v6.1.x release unless

otherwise noted in the release notes. See RN excerpt below:

Upgrading to Fabric OS v6.2.2 is only allowed from Fabric OS v6.1.0 or later. This policy to support only one-level migration, which began with FOS v6.0.0, provides more reliable and robust migrations for customers. By having fewer major changes in internal databases, configurations, and subsystems, the system is able to perform the upgrade more efficiently, taking less time and ensuring a truly seamless and non-disruptive process for the fabric. The one-release migration policy also reduces the large number of upgrade/downgrade permutations that must be tested, allowing Brocade to spend more effort ensuring the supported migration paths are thoroughly and completely verified.

Occasional Contributor

Thanks Bill. When I read that RN earlier, I came away thinking that the upgrade from v6.2.1b to 6.2.2f should be non-disruptive.

Am I correct in my understanding??

Thank you very much for helping me.

Frequent Contributor

Yes. Your understanding is correct.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.