Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Visitor

Brocade 300 FOS Upgrade Path

Hello,

I have (4) Brocade 300 FC switches running FOS V6.2.0c that need to be upgraded to 7.1.0a to meet the requirements for a code upgrade on our Compellent array. The switches are split 2 per a fabric side and are connected together with a 4Gbps ISL.

Can some please tell me the proper upgrade path? Do each switch need to be upgraded to each stop before moving ahead or can each switch be fully upgraded before moving to the next?

Thank you much!

Frequent Contributor

Re: Brocade 300 FOS Upgrade Path

>> Can some please tell me the proper upgrade path?

Regarding the upgrade path, you may want to consult the FabOS release notes:

"

Any 8G platforms (other than DCX/DCX-4S) that are currently operating at lower than FOS v6.4.1a must be upgraded to FOS v6.4.1a or later, they then must be upgraded to FOS v7.0.x, before non-disruptively upgrading to FOS v7.1.0. Upgrading these platforms from any FOS V6.4.x release lower than FOS v6.4.1a to FOS v7.0.x will cause disruption to FC traffic.

Any 8G platform operating at FOS v6.4.1a or later versions of FOS v6.4.x must be upgraded to FOS v7.0.x or later before non-disruptively upgrading to FOS v7.1.0.

"

>> Do each switch need to be upgraded to each stop before moving ahead or can each switch be fully upgraded before moving to the next?

Consult the section "Fabric OS Compatibility" of the FabOS release notes.

As always, you may want to first check interoperability of your hosts and storage arrays with the given switch firmware releases. Something else to consider is upgrading a fabric at a time and only once the first fabric is fully up to date and running stable move on to the other (depending on your change control policies and requirements of course).

Hope this helps.

Contributor

Re: Brocade 300 FOS Upgrade Path

Upgrade Paths :

v6.2.0c  --> v6.3.2d  --> v6.4.3d/e -->  v7.0.2c/d/e --> v7.1.0a.

I would recommend as follow :

1. SW1 -> v6.3.2d

2. SW2 -> v6.3.2d

3. SW1 -> v6.4.3d/e

4. SW2 -> v6.4.3d/e         and Vice versa ....

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.