Fibre Channel (SAN)

N/A
paul_armstrong1

Brocade 300 - Cisco MDS 9124 ISL Issues

Hi All,

I have an issue at a client site which is really troubling me. First of all please bear in mind I have a pretty basic level of FC knowledge.

OK, so we have 2 x Brocade 300's connected via ISL to 2 x Cisco MDS 9124 switches. After some work the ISL is up, another engineer upgraded the MDS's to the latest firmware, and downgraded the 300's to 6.4.3b. It appears he did all the zoning correct, and all appears to be well from a configuration perspective. We have 2 compellent controllers connected to the brocades and all servers are connected at the cisco end.

However, out of something like up to 15 servers only 8 are seen as active from the compellent. The compellent can see the WWN's of the servers but claims they're disconnected, which is odd as surely if they're disconnected they shouldn't be seen at all. The brocades are only licensed for 8 ports each, not sure if thats a factor considering only 8 servers can be connected. Even stranger is that there is a blade chassis which has most of the servers in, half can be seen but half cannot, same hardware, they're all vmware 5.0 same software level, yet half cannot be seen.

Again please forgive my lack of knowledge I'm not getting much help from the people who do know here so I'd appreciate any help anybody who has had this setup before or encountered this kind of issue for tips and potential solutions!

Valued Contributor
felipon

Re: Brocade 300 - Cisco MDS 9124 ISL Issues

Hi,

A diagram of the environment would help.

Do this issue happens on both fabrics?

You can start double-checking the zoning and checking connectivity from Brocade and Cisco switchs to all the affected devices.

Search for the points in common among the failing hosts, and what is the difference with the hosts that are correctly seeing the storage.

When it comes to Brocade port licenses, it won't be a problem unless you try to use the disabled ports.

Rgds

New Contributor
dharaj

Re: Brocade 300 - Cisco MDS 9124 ISL Issues

Hi,

In case only few of the hosts are not able to communicate we need to confirm whether:

• Zoning is proper or not?
    • Use fcinfo for Windows & Solaris host to check if host is able to discover remote zoned ports (i.e. zoned controller WWPN/WWN should be detected in host)
  • Is host able to discover/detect zoned storage ports?
    • Use fcinfo for Windows & Solaris host to check if host is able to discover remote zoned ports (i.e. zoned controller WWPN/WWN should be detected in host)
  • Is only compellent controller not able to accept the request?

Here brocade license will not have any impact.. also confirm what is the interop mode used?

Regards...

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.