Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Brocade 24000 Syslog Configuration

We want to send the error logs (warning, info and the critical messages, everything) of the Brocade 24000 to a solaris host. I entered the ip of the solaris host by using "syslogdipadd" command. At solaris host side, what am i gonna do? The kern.debug line is already exists in the syslog.conf file. But the login messages are not seen in the /var/adm/messages. (trackchangeset is ON)

Contributor

Re: Brocade 24000 Syslog Configuration

You have to use local7.debug (or something else)I believe those are the ones.

Occasional Contributor

Here is my syslog.conf file .emerg <BR>kern.info /var/adm/messages<BR>kern.warning /var/adm/messages<BR>user.info /var/adm/messages<BR>user.warning /var/adm/messages<BR>#local7.emerg /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.alert /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.crit /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.err /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.warning /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.notice /var/adm/emc<BR>#local7.info /var/adm/emc<BR><BR># if a non-loghost machine chooses to have authentication messages<BR># sent to the loghost machine, un-comment out the following line:<BR>#auth.notice ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/authlog, @loghost)<BR><BR>mail.debug ifdef(`LOGHOST', /var/log/syslog, @loghost)<BR><BR>#<BR># non-loghost machines will use the following lines to cause "user"<BR># log messages to be logged locally.<BR>#<BR>ifdef(`LOGHOST', ,<BR>user.err /dev/sysmsg<BR>user.err /var/adm/messages<BR>user.alert `root, operator'<BR>user.emerg <b><BR>)<BR><BR><BR>When a failover occured, the message is written to /var/adm/messages not /var/adm/emc. And an error mesage about the local7.debug line is written to /var/adm/messages. Here it is:<BR><BR>Aug 1 14:47:28 shrimp syslogd: line 12: unknown priority name "debug "<BR>Aug 1 14:47:28 shrimp syslogd: /dev/sysmsg: I/O error<BR><BR>When i changed the line local7.</b> /var/adm/messages. It says <BR><BR>Aug 1 14:43:38 shrimp syslogd: line 12: unknown priority name " " Thanks

Contributor

Perhaps it is because on my site it's going to an AIX machine. I know local7 is used for brocade. What about your 'local7' entries with the '#' in front of it ? where they already there ?. There is no 'debug' being used and mayby sun doesn't accept '*' as substitute?Try to unhash those entries and restart the syslog service.

Occasional Contributor

i tried the hashed lines before but no way, the results are the same.

Contributor

Hmmm, don't know why it isn't working (it's working fine for AIX). As soon i've some more time I will try to find out some more concerning solaris syslog.

Occasional Contributor

I found a web site which tells "The syslog file just accepts tabs, not spaces. The spaces cause "unknown priority name " errors". So i erased all the tabs and spaces and make it only with tabs, and used local7.emerg, local7.alert and so on. It's working now.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.