Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor
tbeiser

Blade Servers - first time with multiple FC switches

Hi Group.

We are installing HP Blade servers and I will have to zone across multiple switches and need help understanding how to configure the switches.

Here is what we are doing.

The Blade chassis will have brocade interconnect switches in them  These interconnects will link to stand alone brocade switches.

So, the blade server HBA will connect to the blade chassis brocade switch and the san will connect to the stand alone brocade switches.  How do I zone the san on one switch to the blade hba on another switch?

I'm coming up to speed with brocade fabric/domains but I'm from the cisco MDS world.

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Contributor
neverdie

Re: Blade Servers - first time with multiple FC switches

Hi Beiser,

First of all you have to decide if you want to use NPIV in your blade chassis in this case you will put your fabric interconnect in "access gateway" mode. The second option is to set your fabric interconnect in switch mode the third option is pass-through mode. Most of the cases access gateway mode is used.

In an ideal world you want to have the same firmware version on all your switches. At least you have to check that the firmware versions are compatible, you can see this in the release notes for FOS.

So if you're using NPIV then you just connect your uplinks to your switches, you go to webtools, Zoning and you will see the WWN of the blades connected to the fabric so you can start zoning.

New Contributor
tbeiser

ok, thanks for the answer.  If I understand correctly, the garden variety setup is gateway mode.  I login to my stand alone brocades and I will just see the blade pwwn in the inventory and can just use it.

Frequent Contributor
neverdie

That is correct, you will see all blade's PWWN under the port number that is connected to your chassis by NPIV.

You can login to your fabric interconnect FC module and do a "switchshow" you will see the Switch Mode so you can be sure that it is running in access gateway mode.

In this case there is a default mapping between F_ports (blade side) and N_ports (front end)

You can use "ag --mapshow" to see how ports are mapped.

Access gateway has a lot of features I recommend you the Access Gateway Administrator's Guide if you want more information.

Best regards,

Community Manager
Brook Reams

This question is more appropriate for the Data Center SAN forum.

http://community.brocade.com/community/forums/products_and_solutions/data_center_products

Frequent Contributor
Grace.Chang

Hi tbeiser,

Like Brook Reams said, this question would be most suitable in the Data Center SAN Forum. I have moved your discussion thread there.

Thank you for using Brocade Communities!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Global Community Manager

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.