Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Basic Help, Please...

I am new to Brocade products, but I came across (2) Brocade DS-5100B switches... I don't know how to connect or test them. Both the QuickStart Guide and Manual suggest connecting them to Unix machines or using Hyperterm in Windows (which Vista doesn't have), so I am hoping that a Brocade enthusiast can jot down a few notes as to how a newb could see the test results (licenseshow, switchshow, version, diagshow, chassisshow, etc)... I read about the steps involved once you get to FabricOS, but I cannot get to the FabricOS to begin this process.

I'm new, and not expecting miracles, but I am fairly savvy... thank you to anyone willing to help.

External Moderator

Re: Basic Help, Please...

before you begin, you should know Switch IP Address.

If no, you need a Brocade Serial cable DB9-RJ11 connect to the Serial Port.

Instead of Hyperterm you can use i.e. Putty or another simple Terminal Software.

established a Serial Connect to the Switch and try to connect using default credential

username = admin

password = password

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for such a quick reply!  I will follow your advice, though I may need to order the Serial cable, and post up if I have any further issues.

By the way, is there a way to reset the switch (to get a default IP)? If so, will doing so delete the port licenses? I am not sure about how these work at all.

--- I ask this question here since you mentioned not knowing the IP address

My apologies if this requires a new topic, as I know some boards are strict.

External Moderator

you can set new IP Address after login trough Serial Port.

about reset:

FIRST at ALL!!!!

If you have purchase both Switched used, most probable are credential password changed.

keep in mind and don't insist to GAME with the Password recovery Procedure on boot-up.

This password is the Boot Password and not the FOS Password.

A elementary example since you are MEW with Brocade:

You have a Server, as you know each Server or Computer can be set BIOS Password, another question is the OS Password, like Windows Administrator Password.

This "BIOS" Password by Server or PC simple reset with Jumper or trough some Serial command, in Brocade Switch is a bit different.

If a PROM Password is set, you need to open a call by Brocade in order to proceed with PWD reset.

FOS - Fabric Operating Systems - Password is another story, we discussed about here in the Forum at several time.

Also again, absolutely AVOID to insist to reset the FOS passwd if is set, with the pwd recovery Options in Boot-up menu or you make the switch unusable.

About the Serial Cable i believe Cisco Blue Serial cable work with Brocade, I don't have one on hand and cannot test.

If you have such Cisco Serial cable can test if is work or not, otherwise try to order original Brocade Serial cable KIT

Part Number 50-0000176-01 with DB9 Connector 50-0000177-01

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Excellent advice! Thanks again... I do have a Cisco serial cable and will try that first.

EDIT: The Cisco cable works great... and this was all great instruction! Thank you again!

Occasional Contributor

Thanks to this info, I was able to test both switches in minutes!

Problem solved, case closed, and now I feel like I know a little Brocade.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.