Fibre Channel (SAN)

Contributor
Accepted Solution

Backup SAN seggreagation

Hi Colleagues , 

What would be the best way to seggregate the Backup traffic from the production traffic within the DCX , apart from virtual fabric or FCR routing ? 

Cheers 

RB

Regular Contributor

Re: Backup SAN segregation

Your question is to broad to give a specific answer.

As I think your not doing it because you can, what is the goal your trying to achieve, ie why the segregation of traffic?

Dont forget TI zones, but these only work if you have multiple ISLs, if you don't have ISLs there is no point in using them.

Contributor

thanks @divon  I have exisitng production fabric to which i must add a backup traffic, all i am told by the client is that it needs seggregation of the traffic, so i would say backup should have it's won SAN. I have prodcution servers sitting on the fabric and it seems some of them are going to be zoned directly connected to tapes, I am not sure who designed but their is some history with that.

I was now looking at some solution which would do two things :

1. seggregate the traffic

2. try and do it without disruption of current fabric + easy to manage.

I have done FCR/VSAN read cisco before and I was looking at other suggestions.

So we have ISL , so this fine, but TI zones is new for me, what exactly are you talking about ?

Regular Contributor

TI (Traffic Isolation) zones can isolate traffic from each other.

It only really aplies to ISL's on route.

A TI zone forces traffic onto the designated ISL leaving the other ISL('s) free for other traffic. 

But before you attempt any solution you should go back to the client and discuss the need to segregate.

By understanding their business arguments bhind their segregation requirement a solution can follow which may end up to be looking totally different from what has been suggested already.

Contributor

Thanks @divon for your time on this. 

Cheers 

RB

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.