Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

B 300, connected before to fabric without FF license, lost that ability after FOS upgrade ...

Hello all,

is there anyone in this community who has observed the following issue?

A B 300 FC Switch with only 8GB and EGM license, running 6.1.0a got successfully connected with two ISL to a 200E. First it reported a duplicate Domain ID but when that was fixed, the B 300 took the zoning configuration from the 200E and all was fine. Than the B 300 got upgraded to FOS 6.2.2e and suddenly, the two ISL ports report the segmentation with "No Fabric License". The Brocade license key database does only show the existing 8GB and EGM key, but not a FF one, therefore we assume, it never had one - but has that behavior seen by anyone else before? It seems that the initial code (6.1.0a) allowed the B 300 to get connected even without any FF installed - and that ability was gone, once the FOS got updated.

I need some evidence or messages that this behavior was possible to see, but more by accident.

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Norbert

Regular Contributor

Re: B 300, connected before to fabric without FF license, lost that ability after FOS upgrade ...

Hi Norbert,

I have seen exactly that one or two times. I thought that 8/24 somehow loses its fabric license after firmware upgrade, yet digging through old SANHealth reports I found out that the license wasn't there. Still it could be that previous firmware upgrade wiped out the license.

The switch worked as part of a fabric and collapsed once the firmware was upgraded.

Let's see if Brocade folks would be willing to share something on that.

Linar

New Contributor

Re: B 300, connected before to fabric without FF license, lost that ability after FOS upgrade ...

I tried today to duplicate the issue as reported in our lab and used as well a B 300 and a SW 200E with two ISL connections in between.

First I removed all license keys from our lab B 300 except the 8GB and EGM one and rebooted the unit. The former established ISLs got marked with "segmented - No Fabric License". Now I downgraded the B 300 from 7.0.0a via all interim versions to 6.2.2e. At that point of time, the ISLs were still broken (segmented). The final downgrade from 6.2.2e was only possible by using the "firmwaredownload -s" command via CLI. After performing that downgrade and the hareboot from the switch, the ISLs went online and establish a valid connection to the SW 200E.

Here some trace output from that situation while the B 300 unit was connected to the SW 200E:

Appl     Primary/Secondary Versions
------------------------------------------
FOS      v6.1.0a
         v6.1.0a

switchshow:
switchName:   swd77
switchType:   71.2
switchState:  Online  
switchMode:   Native
switchRole:   Subordinate
switchDomain: 2
switchId:     fffc02
switchWwn:    10:00:00:05:33:6a:87:71
zoning:              ON (Z_DE7_Cfg_B)
switchBeacon: OFF

Area Port Media Speed State     Proto
=====================================
  3   3   id    N4   Online           E-Port  10:00:00:05:1e:02:40:2b "BRCD200E"
  7   7   id    N4   Online           E-Port  10:00:00:05:1e:02:40:2b "BRCD200E" (upstream)

licenseshow:
R7LM...:
    Enhanced Group Management license
CG3M...:
    8 Gig FC license

fabricshow:
Switch ID   Worldwide Name           Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2: fffc02 10:00:00:05:33:6a:87:71 16.58.37.252    0.0.0.0         "swd77"
55: fffc37 10:00:00:05:1e:02:40:2b 16.58.39.155    0.0.0.0        >"BRCD200E"

The Fabric has 2 switches

fabswitchshow:
Fabric Switch State Structure Information
=========================================
fabric license:        TRUE

Check out, the fabswitchshow output says: "Fabric License: TRUE".

Now the B 300 unit got upgraded to FOS 6.2.2e as reported ... and the unit got rebooted. Result: The former working ISL ports got segmented after the unit powered up again.

The ISL connectivity was still valid after the hareboot got performed by the upgrade to FOS 6.2.2e, but in case any power failure would occur to have the B 300 fully rebooted - or to power it down, move it to another location and get it up again, the ISL would stay segmented.

swd77:admin> firmwareshow
Appl     Primary/Secondary Versions
------------------------------------------
FOS      v6.2.2e
         v6.2.2e

swd77:admin> switchshow
switchName: swd77
switchType: 71.2
switchState: Online  
switchMode: Native
switchRole: Principal
switchDomain: 2
switchId: fffc02
switchWwn: 10:00:00:05:33:6a:87:71
zoning:  ON (Z_DE7_Cfg_B)
switchBeacon: OFF

Area Port Media Speed State     Proto
=====================================
  3   3   id    N4   Online           E-Port  segmented,(No Fabric License)
  7   7   id    N4   Online           E-Port  segmented,(No Fabric License)

swd77:admin> licenseshow
R7LM...:
    Enhanced Group Management license
CG3M...:
    8 Gig FC license

swd77:admin> fabricshow
Switch ID   Worldwide Name           Enet IP Addr    FC IP Addr      Name
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
  2: fffc02 10:00:00:05:33:6a:87:71 16.58.37.252    0.0.0.0        >"swd77"

fabswitchshow:
/fabos/cliexec/fabswitchshow        :
Fabric Switch State Structure Information
=========================================
fabric license:        FALSE

Check out now, that the status was given "Fabric License: FALSE".

With these results from our lab unit I assume we can give the evidence, that the B 300 units are (were) capable to get connected to another Fabric even no Full Fabric license key is installed - if they run a FOS version of 6.1.0a (the initial firmware these units got shipped with). But, that behavior is mainly by mistake and nothing which is guaranteed with any further FOS upgrade because a switch without any Full Fabric key should only be used as standalone unit. Therefore, to get this unit into a Fabric, the Full Fabric license key has to be bought as an additional feature. The visible behavior seems to be based on a "firmware bug", which seems to get corrected (detected) as soon as the switch get updated away from FOS 6.1.0a.

I'm going to mark the question therefore as answered.

(Thanks Linar at least for your confirmation to have it seen as well already ... )

Regards

Norbert

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.