Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Automating tasks / custom GUI

Good afternoon everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has devised a system to configure edge switches with a script or type of GUI , instead of manually going through the process ( Example: change default password , fabricprincipl 0, offline all ports, set UID, clear and save config, create a user. implement snmp setting, time settings etc..

I guess I am looking for two different methods to implement this

1. what type of programming language could i use to create a customim GUI to interact with CLI 

2. examples of scripts to configure switches initially 

any help will be much appreciated, thanks a lot.

Jeremy

External Moderator

Re: Automating tasks / custom GUI

GUI or CLI ?

I don't think you can create a script to set all this steps via GUI.

trough the CLI, if you have programmer knowledge , can try to do with Pearl.

can I ask why they want to make this so complicated ? and how many switches they have ?

TechHelp24
Contributor

I only use that for blade enclosure switches in Access Gateway mode. Python and pexpect works well and you could probably put a GUI on top of that. 

New Contributor

Hey Antonio,

Thanks for the reply. So just to give you a background , yes I have programming skills in multple languages and I have a been a SAN admin for about 5 years. I noticed that there could be a way faster to deploy clients on our SAN clients.

1. I wanted to create to a one page GUI form that you fill in the hostnames, WWN and this would autmatically create the zone config on both paths (IE alias, zoneconfig, and activate zones , for both paths) . I am sure there is a way to do this, just curiouis on where to start. programming language + pearl scripts --> switch CLI 

2. configuring a new switch ( edge switch) --> was something similar. I wanted to have a form to put in the IP MGT switch , the hostname and also its UID. it would then configure the switch with a standard format we use, instead of having to use the GUI and CLI to manually configure it. 

hopefully this is more clear what i want to do . 

Jeremy

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.