Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Are some Brocade switches capable of 8gb speed? .... what about 8gb blades for Directors?

Are some Brocade switches capable of 8gb speed? .... what about 8gb blades for Directors?

Super Contributor

Re: Are some Brocade switches capable of 8gb speed? .... what about 8gb blades for Directors?

stephen,

they landed here with 2 years delay.

Brocade 300, 510, 5300, DCX,.... all this are 8GB capable.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Are some Brocade switches capable of 8gb speed? .... what about 8gb blades for Directors?

We just ordered a Brocade 5300 with 8 Gbs ports.

Interestingly, we only have Arrays and HBAs with 4 Gbs ports.  I guess they're planning for the future.....

Stuart

Super Contributor

If you are satisfied with the responses please mark as 'Answered'.
If not, just let me know I can see to get more info.
I would appreciated if you rate the threads.

Occasional Contributor

Thank you ... but I should be more specific ....

I know 5300's are but what about 4900’s and 48000 directors?

Also do I need to do anything on the switch to gain this speed or does it do something auto dependant upon the HBA?

thanks again - ss

Super Contributor

4900 is Native 4GB hardware and work as max. speed of 4GB

For 48000 are 8 GB Blade Available.

New Contributor

There are supported 8GB blades for the 48K directors.  And, most of the 8Gb features are supported.  One I've read that is not is QOS.  So check on that if you're purchasing extra licensing.

But, the CP blades are only 4Gb and the 8Gb blades are over-subscribed, I think 2 to 1.  Which is probably better than you would get with an 8Gb edge switch anyway.  So, it's 8Gb if the hosts can be routed locally to the blade, and they're 4Gb if they have to go throught he CP blades.

Occasional Contributor

Hi,

We have brought HBA of 8GB from IBM  . we have Ds5100 Switch. We are not able to see the lync on the switch. Is there any setting we need to do on the switch.

Brocade 8GB FC HBA DP

Manufacturer Part# 46M6050

Thanks

govind

Valued Contributor

Please create your own thread instead of resurrecting an old one.

External Moderator

This HBA is Brocade Certified with all 8GB Switches, however the switch must be Licensed for 8GB.

if the switch is Licensed, set the HBA as Fixed 8GB and not as Auto.

If the Switch is not Licensed for 8GBa,d only 4GB capable set the HBA as 4GB Fixed and not Auto.

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.