Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Advice on expired Brocade switch

Hey,

I am pretty new to Brocade.  I am thinking of  getting a Brocade 4100 brand new form ebay and includes some good  features and zoning.  This switch is end of availability I believe.   Seems like a good switch from the product data sheet.  Is it a bad idea  to purchase this?  I am getting it for a SAN lab and want to get  familiar with zoning etc which the switch is capable of.  I am a storage  guy but now looking at FC in depth.  Advice please!

External Moderator

Re: Advice on expired Brocade switch

Is EOL and EOS, Support FOS till 6.x.x, , FOS 6.4.2a is the latest Release.

I've TWO Brocade 4100 in my LAB and work Rock Solid.

FOS 7.x is NOT Supported.

--->>>I am getting it for a SAN lab and want to get  familiar with zoning etc which the switch is capable of.

it's more at enough, just ask the Seller about Installed License.

some on Ebay sell Brocade switch which are Pure Spare-Part without any License, and such switch are uselessly.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Hi rprudent,

I've 12 4100s which have been for working fine for years without any hardware issue, depending on price I think it's not a bad idea for a lab.

4100 is not EOS at this time, it will be at the end of 2012.

If you only buy one and don't plan to build a fabric in your lab, include it in an existing fabric and only want to learn by yourself zoning, you don't really have to care about license. For advanced features such as FabricWatch, you will need some.

Last thing important from my point of view : number of licensed ports. Be aware that by default 4100 has only 8 ports enabled (maybe not enough for you ?), having 32 ports requires 2 Ports On Demand licenses.

Best for you is to get 'licenseshow' output cli from seller, then you'll know which features are available or not. And have a baseline for price discussion

Kind regards,

--

david

External Moderator

--->>> 4100 is not EOS at this time, it will be at the end of 2012.

BROCADE REGLEMENT

All Plattform Purchased after last "Non-cancelable Order" are Official End of Support.

BROCADE 4100
• EOL Notification July 30, 2007
• EOL Final, Non-cancelable orders due September 21, 2007
• EOL Last Ship October 31, 2007
• End of Service/Support October 2012

TechHelp24
Super Contributor

Hi,

just to be a bit more accureate:

Brocade has started on the 30th July the EOL process which begins with the EOL Notification and ends with the "End oif Service /Support" date on October 2012.

By the way ask if you get SFPs as well and which type they are.

Andreas

Regular Contributor

That's it Andreas : end of service at the end of 2012. My Brocade contact told me december, community's robot says october.

COMMUNITY REGLEMENT :

Don't write anything that could show TechHelp24 may sometimes be wrong

Kind regards,

--

david

Super Contributor

Hi David,

I have attached the Brocade EOL message for your reference. You can ask your Brocade contact if this statement is OK or if you have a different support contract with different dates....

Andreas

Regular Contributor

Dear TechHelp,

1/ As far as I know, insulting people is not in communities best practices. Please consider that before explicitly treating of 'BIG idiot' anybody who do not agree with you.

2/ My Brocade contact as nothing to learn, especially from you. I HAVE a Brocade contract and I HAVE support from BROCADE for EOL products. I open cases every weeks and have answers from BROCADE.

YOU're not GOD, YOU don't know everything everywhere and YOU are really boring to always comment each sentence that is not going in YOUR way.

Yours faithfully,

--

david

External Moderator

--->>> 1/ As far as I know, insulting people is not in communities best practices

You are right, need just to read you POST from yesterday bevore begin to insult !

--->>> I HAVE a Brocade contract and I HAVE support from BROCADE for EOL

That probable, and I'm sure you have not purchased all this switch or Other under Maintenance after End of Sales Date.

End of Service/Support in this case 2012, covered the Switch purchased bevore End of Sales in such case 2007 ! and surely not from ebay.

That really a big difference.

Finally, Brocade don't sell any Maintenance Contract for any Switch which was never under Maintenance bevore/after EOL, and in such case is the Switch

End of Service/Support.

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

TechHelp,

-> End of Service/Support.

Thank you very much. Have a good rest, and come back less nervous.

--

david

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.