Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Addinng and removing aliases of target devices with same wwpn in an existing zone, is it affecting the host connections?

Hi

In a dual fabric environment there many duplicate aliases containing the same wwpn for storage devices. unfortunately the aliases are already used in the active configuration. I want to get rid of them and the only possible solution i found is:
-identify the affected zones with the wrong aliases
-add to the zones the right alias with the same wwpn as the wrong one
-enable the configuration
-remove the wrong alias from the zone (zoneremove)
-check again that the wrong alias are not used anymore in any zone
-delete the wrong aliases from the configuration (zoneobjectexpunge)

Is this affecting the host connections to the storage devices or this can be considered a transparent operation for the host I/O?

thanks in advance

Valued Contributor

Re: Addinng and removing aliases of target devices with same wwpn in an existing zone, is it affecting the host connections?

As long as you don't break a path/zone during your action, it'll be transparent to the hosts.
With a Multipath Solution installed on your hosts it will/should even be transparent (meaning I/O will continue) even if you should break something during your actions.

I recommend that you check your hosts first than clean up one fabric first, then check your host and fix those if needed, then continue with second fabric.
If you don't have access to those hosts you can assume its OK by lokking at the zoning and lun mapping or ask serveradmins.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.