Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Adding switched to a fabric

I have two identical fabrics of (3) 12k Brocade switches, all ISL’ed together. I have a 24k director I need to add to each fabric. These are PROD fabrics and I need to avoid any down time. I am pretty sure I have the 24k configured properly (domain id and ip addresses). I plan on running a switchdisable on the 24k before connecting the ISL’s. Will the zones propagate to the 24k while in a disabled state after the ISL’s are connected? The eventual plan is to migrate connections from 2 of the 12k’s to the 24k and then removed the now empty 12’s. If I remove the switch from the fabric that is the principal will the next lowest WWN just take over that roll or should a run a fabricprincipal to force it over? If anyone can think of anything else I might have over looked in this process any input would be appreciated.

External Moderator

Re: Adding switched to a fabric

-&gt;&gt;&gt; I plan on running a switchdisable on the 24k before connecting the ISL’s. <BR><BR>Why they want that switchdisable ?<BR><BR>-&gt;&gt;&gt; Will the zones propagate to the 24k while in a disabled state after the ISL’s are connected?Tip, do they work with fabric manager? Youcan Download Eval Version and Mrigrate you 12K to 24K whitthe Fabric Manager, this is very easy.

TechHelp24
Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding switched to a fabric

Hi Jim,bernd

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.