Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Adding new servers to Brocade 300

I'm new to the workings of Brocades and SAN, so I'm in search of some information and expertise.

I've been tasked with getting five new servers added to two Brocade 300 switches.  I have the steps involved with creating aliases, zones, and zone configs, but my troubles stem from not seeing WWN information coming from the new servers being attached to the switches.

The servers each have two (2) Brocade-815 adapters and are each connected to one of the two 300's.  When the servers come up, I see the physical connection being established to each of the 300's (on the GUI, the corresponding ports go green and show being designated as F-ports).  However, from only one of the four Dell R-710's I'm trying to get up am I getting any WWN information from the server HBA adapters.

All of the HBA adapters on the servers are Brocade-815's.  All are running BIOS version FCHBA2.2.0.2.

Both of the Brocade 300's are running kernel 2.6.14.2 and v6.1.1b of the fabric OS.

None of the servers have yet been loaded with any type of OS.

Any advice as to how get the switches to see the server HBA adapters or to get the HBA adapters to tell the switches about themselves?

Thanks.

Contributor

Re: Adding new servers to Brocade 300

Craig,

It's recommended to install and load the OS drivers for the Brocade 815's first. What OS are you going to use for these 5 new servers?

New Contributor

Windows 2008.

Should I not even be bothering troubleshooting anything in the way of connection issues or setting up zones until the OS is in place?  Is the best I can hope for is physical connectivity at this point?

Contributor

Craig,

That's correct. Please install the W2K8 OS first. Next, please download and install the W2K8 drivers v3.0.0.0 for the Brocade adapter, then you can do all the zoning afterward. Please contact me directly (hvu@brocade.com) if you run into any connectivity issue. By the way, which version of Windows 2008? Is it W2K8 R2 x64?

Here's the Brocade adapter drivers download page:

http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/adapters/Windows.page

Hope this helps.

New Contributor

Helps tremendously.  I suspected this would be the case, but this is my first shot at doing this so needed to ask.  Also, the inconsistent results I was seeing even though none of the servers have an OS threw me.

Thank you very much.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.