Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Adding new SFPs to a Brocade Switch 200e

Hi

I have a 200e Brocade Fabric Switch with 8 SFPs already installed.

I need 2 more SFPs installed. 

Questions:

1)  Can only 2 SFPs be installed or do they have to be installed in groups of 4?

2)  What is involved in installing the SFPs?

Is it just plug them in or is there a license to be added to the switch?

When I buy SFPs do they automatically come with the license or does that have to be purchased through Brocade?

Thanks

Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding new SFPs to a Brocade Switch 200e

Hi nclarke

2)  What is involved in installing the SFPs?

Is it just plug them in or is there a license to be added to the switch?

When I buy SFPs do they automatically come with the license or does that have to be purchased through Brocade?

You will need to buy a extended port license for your 200E you will get the SFP's with the license you buy. I believe there sold in groups of 4 but check with your sales guys.

Once you have activated the port license you can the add the new SPF's to your switch. Just remember you'll need to issue a "portenable" to get them online.

Regards

David

Occasional Contributor

Sorry - I know I sound ignorant, but to add the license to the switch:

1) Is that found in the License Tab in the Switch Admin Window?

2) Am I just adding a license in this window?  There are 2 Features available in the License (as shown in the attached file) - Web and Zoning.  These will be updated as part of the License update - correct?

3) During the switch license update, will the switch functionality be affected?  Will it affect communication between my SAN and Blades?

Thanks.  Your 1st answer was real helpful.

Frequent Contributor

Hi nclarke

No problems at all were all here to help each other

1) Is that found in the License Tab in the Switch Admin Window?

Yes your correct you can add the license under this section or from the CLI and typing "licenseadd"

2) Am I just adding a license in this window?  There are 2 Features available in the License (as shown in the attached file) - Web and Zoning.  These will be updated as part of the License update - correct?

Those licenses you can see are the ones that are currently active and enabled on your switch. Yes the new license you add will then show up.

3) During the switch license update, will the switch functionality be affected?  Will it affect communication between my SAN and Blades?

This process is non-distruptive and will not afffect any I/O on your SAN & Blades.

Regards

David

Occasional Contributor

Great Help.

Will take the advice!

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.