Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Adding an FC4-32 port blade to an 48000 Director (HP 4/256 director)

I can't find any documentation on how to Install and Configure a new FC4-32 port blade into my 48000 Directors.

There's the install doc to physically install the blade but that's it.

I haven't worked on these before and need to find all the information to install and configure.

Is it as simple as stick it in and the blade get's it's config from the Director?   The director is in Option 5 mode (chassisConfig) and shows the following

admin> chassisconfig

Current Option: 5

All Supported Options

----------------------------------------------------

Option 5: One 384-port switch

Blade ID's 17, 18, 24, 31, 33, 36, 39, 37, 51, 55 in slots 1-4, 7-10

Blade ID 16 in slots 5-6

I have Blades in slots 1-3 and 5,6.  I understand the FC4-32 blade should only be installed in slots 1-4 or 7-10.  So I'm going to stick it in slot 4.  Unless there's some sort of advantage to using slot 7-10?

Right now my plan is short:  (currently at FOS 6.2.0g)

1.  Run a supportSave before installing the blade.

2.  Remove the filler panel

3.  Insert the blade.

So is that all there is to it?  Or do I have to run commands after?

We run a dual fabric so I'll be doing this in both Directors for each fabric.  Sequentially.

Regards

Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding an FC4-32 port blade to an 48000 Director (HP 4/256 director)

Hi Ku!

Have a look at the FRU replacement manual (attached) for more info on the blade insertion procedure. Try a "hashow" to make sure that both CP blades are okay before starting. Also running a SAN Health would be a good idea before starting.

I believe that inserting the blade is all you have to do. Good luck and let us know how everything worked out. =)

Cheers

Frequent Contributor

Re: Adding an FC4-32 port blade to an 48000 Director (HP 4/256 director)

You can see the status of the new blade after you insert it if you run "slotshow" and "chassisshow"

In case there is an error try to run a "slotpoweroff 4" and "slotpoweron 4"

And that's about it. If you can afford downtime you can do a "reboot" but that would mean interrupting IO.

Cheers

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.