Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

Adding a new swtich to an existing fabric

hi

When adding a brand new switch to an existing fabric (that's in production) can the ISL be plugged in to the live environment without affecting anything?

Or should I first shutdown the servers?

many thanks

C

Valued Contributor

Re: Adding a new swtich to an existing fabric

A shutdown off servers is not required.

However you should take care that the fabric parameters for the new switch match to parameters on the running switches except for the domain ID (this has to be unique in a fabric)

Should the parameters not match the new switch will not join the running fabric (it called a segmented fabric).

Reason as to why segmentation occurred are found in the switchlog.

Occasional Contributor

many thanks for the fast reply

if the switch becomes segmented - does that just prevent to new switch was particiapting in the existing fabric and has no affect on the existing switches and hosts? eg - like a failsafe to protect the existing configuration

thanks

Valued Contributor

I don't know I you can call it a failsafe the way you stated it.

If it (the new switch (but you'll see it on all ports of the ISL)) segments because of fabric parameters being wrong it just can't join.

If the parameters are right it can still segment.

Mostly because the default access is different or because of different zoning databases on the switches wanting to join.

The latter is very unusual if you have a brand new never been used kind of switch.

Segmentation means the connection (ISL(s)) between switches will not come online.

Switches on either end will continue to run as they did before the connection was made.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.