Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Adding a host to an existing Zone

Dear All,

This is my first time on Brocade in Production, I need to add a new server to an existing group of nodes to share the same access rights. Firstly when I check the Server (Hosts) in the Brocade Switch Java Interface I cannot see the new HBS's in the list as shown in the image above,(This is a HP blade and a new Blade has been added). My questions:

1) What is the next step, if I do not see the Blades HBA's in the Host file?

2) Can I add it manually, using the WWN?

3) When added, how do I go by adding it into the existing Zone configuration?

4)Maybe there is a step-by-step document that explains what I need to do,

This is basically 101 Brocade config

Your help is appreciated.

Djak

Super Contributor

Re: Adding a host to an existing Zone

Hello Djak,

it would be helpful if you say how your Bladecenter is connected to your switch.

In some configurations you have to assign a profile to your blade. The profile contains the definition of the "SAN connect"

If this has been done and the blade is powered on the WWN should be visible in the Nameserver. Make sure that you have a working physical connection between the blade and the switch.

By the way your switch is marked as red. This means that you may have a wrong switch policy or a power supply which is not connected. To check the policy please use the switchstatuspolicyshow command on the CLI.

Regards,

Andreas

New Contributor

Andrea, you are right, I had the HBA not conneted to the right Trunk . it was late at night.

Now most of it is working, only one issue I need to sort out and that is I need to Zone one host to one LUN only, The senario is I have a group of ESX and a couple on Windows 2008 servers, ESX is side is not obvious (LUN visibility) But Windows you can see ALL LUNs and it is quite scary. How do I isolate wndows 2008 to see only one LUN?

Thank you Again,

Djak

Super Contributor

Hi Djak,

to isolate LUNs depends mainly on your storage array. This is called LUN masking.

If you post your storage array type I try to help.

From the SAN point of view you should create zones. Zones are similar to broadcast zones in the Ethernet world.

You isolate two WWNs or more WWNs into one scope. If one WWN changes the state all other member in that zone will be informed instead of all WWN in your fabric. This is only a very high level view.

If you create a zone put in the pWWN or WWPN called Port World Wide Name of the server and the pWWN of the storage into one zone.

Then you need a zone cfg on your switch where you can add the zone. After that activate the changed zone cfg and your server can see the storage port. Last step is that you have to give the server HBA the right to access the LUN.

This should also be done for your ESX hosts as well.

If you need more information please let me know.

Andreas

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.