Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

Adding New Switch to Brocade 2800 Fabric

I have a 4 switch full mesh brocade fabric and need to add a 5th brocade switch. I want to convert to a ring design with the addition of the 5th switch. Can I move the ISLs that will attach to the 5th switch without impacting hosts? Should I disable to ISL port that I am moving prior to moving it to the new switch? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Occasional Contributor

Re: Adding New Switch to Brocade 2800 Fabric

I'd recommend moving to a Core/Edge design rather than a ring design. Core/Edge designs are much easier to scale/manage with minimal interruption to the fabric.Pointy

New Contributor

Re: Adding New Switch to Brocade 2800 Fabric

This may be a month late, but I would also recommend the core-edge design. I have redundant 16 switch core-edge fabrics composed of 2800 switches in our first main fabric. By attempting to have locality between the Servers and Storage wherever possible, I have less than a 40% load on the ISL's through my core switches during backups (Peak load times).You may be overdesigning your fabric for no reason. Look at where your servers and storage are located. If you can maintain locality, the ISL's are unnecessary.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.