Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

AP7420 to Cisco MDS 95xx ?

Can I do FCIP routing between an AP7420 and a Cisco MDS? Is it possible to get LSANs and VSANs talking to each other? We currently have two sites connected by AP7420s. A new sister company of ours is a Cisco shop. We don't want to merge fabrics, or even have our existing fabrics talk to each other. We want to put some DR equipment for them here on its own fabric, connected to our AP7420 and connect that fabric to their (remote) Cisco MDS. Is this even possible?

Thanks, Doug

External Moderator

Re: AP7420 to Cisco MDS 95xx ?

Doug,

--->>>Can I do FCIP routing between an AP7420 and a Cisco MDS?

Yes, but you must have on the MDS site a FCIP Licensed. Will you connect here trough the MDS-9000 IP Storage Service Module ?

--->>> Is it possible to get LSANs and VSANs talking to each other?

NO!

TechHelp24

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

--->>>Can I do FCIP routing between an AP7420 and a Cisco MDS?

Yes, but you must have on the MDS site a FCIP Licensed. Will you connect here trough the MDS-9000 IP Storage Service Module ?

**> Yes we would be using the 18/4 port Multiservice module in the MDS.

--->>> Is it possible to get LSANs and VSANs talking to each other?

NO!

**> Ok, then I'm confused. I've done Brocade->Brocade (LSAN->LSAN, VE->VE), but this is my first cross vendor. What architecture is recommended? Is doing this documented anywhere that you can recommend? Brocade classes were great, but a little lacking in cross vendor info.

Thanks, Doug

External Moderator

Doug,

--->>> What architecture is recommended? Is doing this documented anywhere that you can recommend?

I think i have some DOC, will check and upload this here later.

--->>> **> Ok, then I'm confused.......?

Do you have a SAN design, like Visio, and can upload this here ?

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

I just heard from an internal Brocade resource that it will not work at all due to the proprietary XPP stack on the 7420 only being able to connect to another 7420.

Thanks for trying to help me figure it out. -Doug

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.