Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

ADISC being dropped any Ideas ??

I am running fabOS 6.4.1b and am seeing an issue where a target device is sending out a ADISC to see who is still there after a RSCN is recieved.  The issue is the RSCN seems to be getting dropped in the brocade fabric.  Using a finisar I can see the ADISC come out the target with a specific D_ID and goes into the fabric, and then looking at the trace from the D_ID side, I never see the ADISC come out of the fabric.

Does anyone know of any reasons the switches would drop an ADISC?  I did find one thing saying brocade will throw it away if its brocasted with an ffffff D_ID, but thats not the case here.

Any help appreciated.

-shawn

Occasional Contributor

Re: ADISC being dropped any Ideas ??

Oh, and the result of an ADISC being dropped is the initiator is logged out of the target device and now we can not recover without some manual intervention.

Valued Contributor

Hi,

could you, please, reproduce the operative and attach the output of portlogdumpport <port> for both ports affected, right after seeing the issue?

Moreover, a supportshow of the switch where the issue is active would be helpful.

Maybe, the hba is not correclty revsistered via SCR and is not configured to recieve RSCN updates...

Usually, this sort of issue are due to a wrong config or a hba/switch/storage bug. So you could review the release notes of newer firmware releases to see if this behaviour is addressed.

Rgds

Frequent Contributor

I agree with felipon. Whats the S_ID and D_ID of the ADISC btw.

Also check on the nsshow -r output if the device has registered to recieve all RSCN's. (should be 3.) There also was a defect that during an upgrade of FOS6.2 to 6.3.0 or 6.3.1 the SCR state registration got lost. This really screwed up a lot of stuff. The only thing to fix that is bounce the port and upgrade FOS afterwards. (Yes, this is disruptive)

Type Pid    COS     PortName                NodeName                 SCR

N    8f9700;      3;50:06:0e:80:06:cf:28:68;50:06:0e:80:06:cf:28:68; 0x00000003

The SCR value should be 3. If it is zero you might have hit this defect. Should be fixed in 6.4.0

Cheers

E

Frequent Contributor

What FOS version RU running and what is the device sending out the ADSIC. I've seen a problem with FOS 6.4.1+ and IBM SVC.

Occasional Contributor

Hi, Thanks for your replys.

The storage is XIV and it is connected to a 8Gb brocade driector switch via Fibre channel,

The Initiator is a Qlogic FCoE Adapter connected to 8Gb Brocade FCoE Switch

The 2 switches are ISL'd together

Both Switches are running FOS 6.4.1.b

I have a finisar trace of the connection between the storage and the switch, and the host hba and the switch.  In the trace I see the adisc come out of the storage into the san with a S_ID that matches the target and a D_ID that matches the initiator,  I dont see the ADISC on the initiator side.

I ran nsshow -r for all connections.

The FC switch ports for the XIV the connections show a SCR value of 0x00000003

The FCoE switch ports for the Qlogic HBA connections show a SCR value of 0x00000001  <---  Its a 1, what does this mean?  I see other FCoE connections in the same switch with a value of 3 so I dont know why this one is a 1.

Frequent Contributor

There might be your problem. This means the adapter has registered itself with the nameserver to only receive Fabric RSCN's. So only RSCN's with a source id of FFFFFD will get to this port if the fabric controller sends it to this D_ID.

Check on the Qlogic adapter if there are settings which allow you to controll this. I don't have a Qlogic FCoE adapter at hand so I can't check for you.

Cheers

E

Occasional Contributor

Re: ADISC being dropped any Ideas ?

So it is a bit wierd that the initiator is registered with a SCR value of 1, however that shouldnt have any impact on us receiving an ADISC from a target device. The initiator never gets an RSCN for himself (which is the entity leaving the fabric in this case anyways).  The important thing is did the XIV get the RSCN indicating we had left and /or joined, and it did, which is why it sent the ADISC.

I would not expect the Brocade to not forward the ADISC to the D_ID based on what the SCR is, they are 2 independent things in this case.  right?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.