Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

8GBps speed

I have one issue in one of installation, we provide 1 storage IBM DS3512 (Dual
Controller) and IBM Bladecenter H with 2 x Brocade 20 Port 8GB SAN Switch
(44X1920), we attached the SAN switch directly to storage but when we configure a port
in Brocade SAN switch it won’t allow at 8GB speed, if I select 8GBps then it
starts blinking orange light, but on 4GBps it works fine. Where as we have 8GB
SFPs.

Regular Contributor

Re: 8GBps speed

Hello,

did you configure PortCfgFillword?

New Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for reply.

No we did not configure PortCfgFillword, most settings are as default.

External Moderator

hi hmuhhammad,

--->>>....if I select 8GBps then it starts blinking orange light, but on 4GBps it works fine. Where as we have 8GB

SFPs.

I'm not 100% sure, however I've heard some Blade switch required a 8G License String in order to activated 8G capability.

check with command "licenseshow" if a 8G License is installed.

sound to me a you have 8G SFP+ but no license active and this is a reason the port get back to 4G

TechHelp24
External Moderator

I found follow Info:

--->>> Brocade Full Fabric mode: Enables high performance 8 Gb fabric switching.

from FOS Asmin Guide

8G licensing

ATTENTION

This license is installed by default and you should not remove it.

The 8 Gbps licensing applies to the Brocade 300, 5100, 5300, and VA-40FC switches and the 8

Gbps embedded switches. The Brocade 48000 does not need the 8G license to use any of the

FC8- type blades. The following list describes the basic rules of using, adding, or removing 8G

licenses.

• Without an 8G license, even if there is an 8 Gbps SFP plugged into a port in an applicable

platform, the port would be enabled to run at a maximum speed of 4 Gbps.

• To obtain an 8G license, only the License ID from the switch is required. When you add the 8G

license, you must enter either the portDisable and portEnable commands on each individual

port on the switch, or the switchDisable and switchEnable commands on the switch, to enable

the 8 Gbps functionality.

• When you remove the 8G license, the ports which are online and already running at 8 Gbps are

not disturbed until the port goes offline or the switch is rebooted. The switch ports return to

their pre-licensed state maximum speed of 4 Gbps.

with other word, is Full Fabric License not installed the switch work as 4G

TechHelp24
New Contributor

Thank you Antonio, I will try and if find any problem discuss again.

New Contributor

Hi,

Do we need to run "portCfgFillword" on v7.1.1? When I checked about this on the manuals of 7.1, it does not say this command was not supported anymore. After I upgraded to v7.1.1, when I run this command on the port that has connection to 8GB HBA card, it does not support. Brocade SE was telling me that it does not require manuel setup anymore to change this to mode 3. However, there is no way to verifiy what Fillword is running after we connect the HBA. Any idea?

Valued Contributor

portcfgfillword is still mentioned in the FOS command ref guide for 7.1 h ttp://www.brocade.com/downloads/documents/product_manuals/B_SAN/FOS_CmdRef_v710.pdf  but only applies to the 8Gbps plaform.

You can use portcfgshow to the current settings

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.