Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

5100 FC Switch: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session

I'm doing some FC networking at a location and I've been attempting to implement a Brocade 5100 which they had from a previous purchase. The login/pass was written on the device (which I assume is correct). I don't have the ezswitchsetup CD and it seems to be impossible to get the download and for some reason. Also, I can't seem to get any response using the serial port, I don't have the original cable but I've patched a cable using the serial pinouts specified by Brocade for the 5100. After Wiresharking the line, I was able to find the IP address to the unit and telenet in to it. The issue is, when I use the login/pass which was on the device, I'm getting an error returned "cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session." I get a permission denied error when I try other login combinations, so I'm assuming that the credentials I'm using are correct.

If anyone has any help on how to get this switch to some point where I can actually set it up I would REALLY appreciate it. I've spent a ton of time trying to get this thing working. Any procedure to get it back to defaults would be extremely helpful.

External Moderator

Re: 5100 FC Switch: Cannot make/remove an entry for the specified session

hi,

can you post please a screen-shot from loging attempt ?

additional, if you using putty, try to do a login as SSH instead as Telnet.

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Sure. I'll post a few screen shots here using telenet and SSH, see below. Just a couple of additional details. SSH seems to be faster at its attempts to login, but both have the same behaivor. When I enter what I believe to be an incorrect login/pass (such as the default "admin/password") it immediately returns a "permission denied, please try again". But, when I use the login/pass which I believe is correct, it comes back with a "connection to xx.xx.xx.xx closed". 

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68831362/ssh1.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68831362/ssh2.jpg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/68831362/telnet.jpg

Occasional Contributor

Any suggestions by chance? I'm still having the same issues. 

External Moderator

--->>>But, when I use the login/pass which I believe is correct,.....

I don't think you have the correct password.

try with username "root" and with password "fibranne" this is the default brocade root password, excepted the switch is OEM from EMC

TechHelp24
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, I will give that a try later today once I am back at the switch. If that is the case, do you know why I'm getting a different response when I enter one password over another? In other words, I'm getting a connection closed when I use the password I beleive is correct whereas I'm getting a permission denied when I use a different password.

Occasional Contributor

So, I tried the other default login/password that you provided, as well as some others I have found, nothing worked. Is it possible there is some other issue? As I previously mentioned, I'm getting completely different behaivor when I enter the password I believe to be correct than when I enter any other combination. Both in SSH and telnet I get a permission denied when I use any of the default passwords, but when I use the login/pass I have I get different responses such as connection closed and the cannot make/remove an entry...

Is it possible this unit failed to complete a firmware update or something and is stuck in some endless loop? If so, is there any way to restore it back to defaults or to the original firmware?

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.