Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

48k director IP addressing.

Hello helpful folks,

Please help me with the following questions regarding the 48k switch. There is nothing connected to the switch, so rebooting is no problem at any time:

a) I understand that there are 3 IP addresses required. One for the chassis, one for each CP. I dont quite understand why IP address needs to be assigned to the chassis. Please explain.

b) Out of the 3 IP addresses, which IP address should/can be used to launch webtools and manage the switch (e.g: zoning). IP address of the chassis, or active CP?.

c) I need to change the existing IP addresses on the switch. Which IP address do i need to change first?. The chassis or the active CP or standby CP?

d) Can webtools be launched by typing the IP of either the chassis, the active CP or standby CP. If yes, then what is the difference?

Thanks.

Valued Contributor

Re: 48k director IP addressing.

A> its actually not the chassis which holds the 3rd ip adress. The 3rd adress is hold by the active CP blade and used for switch chassis management.

Which answers B and D> zone using the 3rd adress

C> I don't think it really matters as you can change ipadresses from the both CP's for all. And should all else fail you can use the rs232 interface to set ipadresses etc.

New Contributor

You're right but alway enter via Virtual IP for web tool, so at this time do you have two CP , two IP each CP and do you have one IP for virtual, remember alway use virtual IP for everything to work, webtool, SAN health or DCFM this is  IP Management. if you need change all IP you need first per CP's and then Vitual IP.

External Moderator

Web-Tools and /or DCFM communicate with the Active CP IP Addresse.

each CP must have a unique IP Addresse.

The BackPlane IP Address must be in same range as the CP Address

e.g.

192.168.1.11 CP1

192.168.1.12 CP2

192.168.1.13 BackPlane

--->>> I need to change the existing IP addresses on the switch. Which IP address do i need to change first?.

start the command "ipaddrset", and you see what you can start as first

you don't have another option

TechHelp24
Regular Contributor

Hi -

Web tools / DCFM can use Chassis IP address, hold on active CP which have its own IP address. It's better to use Chassis IP address as it's still reachable in case of CP failure.Smiley Happy

Chassis IP addresses and CPs IP addresses must be in the same subnet.

Backplane IP address do not have to be in the same subnet as CPs. My opinion is that backplane is internal and should stay internal with internal/different subnet

All my 48K (6.3.2b) works fine with following kind of configuration :

CHASSIS
Ethernet IP Address: 10.68.184.175
Ethernet Subnetmask: 255.255.255.0
CP0
Ethernet IP Address: 10.68.184.176
Host Name: besw1001
Gateway IP Address: 10.68.184.254
CP1
Ethernet IP Address: 10.68.184.177
Host Name: besw1002
Gateway IP Address: 10.68.184.254
Backplane IP address of CP0 : 10.0.0.5
Backplane IP address of CP1 : 10.0.0.6

Kind regards,

--

david

Frequent Contributor

Hi SAN_Person_2010, 

Was your question answered? If so, please mark the answer(s) as either helpful or correct. Our community members are providing valuable answers to your questions. Please appreciate their time and effort by marking the question as mentioned above and encourage them to participate more.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Community Moderator

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.