Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

300 Switch Licensing Issue after Upgrade to 7.0.1

We have multiple Dell/EMC CX4 SANs all with Brocade 300 FC Switches.  We hired a reputable well known company to support us with the upgrade of the SANs and FC Switches to the latest versions. They collected logs analyzed them, planned the upgrades, and assisted with one leaving me to complete the others.  The 300's came with 6.1.0c and we upgraded them to 7.0.1 with 3 steps in between. Six of the switches are in are in a fabric, three and three, supporting three different SANs.  With 6.1 the fabric worked without any issues and no additional licenses.  We upgraded to 7.0.1 and everything worked fine, until we powered off two of the FC Switches and they now will not rejoin the fabric.

Couple questions:

Was a license added between 6.1 and 7.0.1 that we need to purchase?

I believe the company that proposed the upgrade and outlined the upgrade should have known this and provided the license, is that unreasonable?

External Moderator

Re: 300 Switch Licensing Issue after Upgrade to 7.0.1

--->>>Was a license added between 6.1 and 7.0.1 that we need to purchase?

No, and No other additional License are required when FOS Upgrade is performed.

--->>>....and they now will not rejoin the fabric.

is the config remain the same after upgrade, or anyone made some change ?

TechHelp24
Contributor

When you say "everything worked fine, until we powered off..." are you saying that you had all the 300s in the same fabric talking ok while all running 7.0.1 prior to the powering off?

Can you provide the output of 'switchshow' and 'fabstatsshow' from an affected switch?

New Contributor

--->>>Was a license added between 6.1 and 7.0.1 that we need to purchase?

>No, and No other additional License are required when FOS Upgrade is performed.

The switches did not originally have fabric licenses but worked fine.

--->>>....and they now will not rejoin the fabric.

> is the config remain the same after upgrade, or anyone made some change ?

I was out of town when this happened, but my coworker reports he looked at one switch but did not make a change.

New Contributor

• When you say "everything worked fine, until we powered off..." are you saying that you had all the 300s in the same fabric talking ok while all running 7.0.1 prior to the powering off?

I upgraded all 6 switches, completing one side of the fabric and once I was confident it was stable, I upgraded the other side.   The upgrades do not completely reboot the switches, only rebooting the primary or secondar OS of the switch being upgraded.  It wasn't until two of the switches were completely powered off then back on, that they failed to function within the fabric.

• Can you provide the output of 'switchshow' and 'fabstatsshow' from an affected switch?

I'll see what I can do.

Thanks!

External Moderator

--->>>The switches did not originally have fabric licenses but worked fine.

Switches that build a Fabric, must have a Fabric License

TechHelp24

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.