Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

300 ISL connectivity

Hi,

I am having an existing 300 SAN SW and trying to connect it (ISL) to a new 300 Switch 

i am getting the below message & license on the existing switch 

9 9 010900 id N8 Online FC E-Port segmented,(No Fabric License)

Existing-300:admin> licenseshow
SSRzRRbSczTTW0Sk:
First Ports on Demand license - additional 8 port upgrade license
8 Gig FC license

i am getting the below message & license on the new switch 

0   0   020000   id    N8   Online      FC  E-Port  segmented,(disabled E_Port)

NEW_300B:admin> licenseshow
Fabric license
Enhanced Group Management license
8 Gig FC license

Please advise , what is missing for an ISL connection ?

Valued Contributor

Re: 300 ISL connectivity

Exactly what it says: "No Fabric License"
New Contributor

Hi, 

Thanks for the answer , just one more thing to double check .

is it mandatory to have Fabric license for both the SAN switches for ISL connectivity ?

or we can have ISL as follows

exsiting SAN Switch with Fabric License and new SAN Switch without Fabric License ?

Valued Contributor

As far as I understand, "no fabric license" means "switch has to be standalone". So, fabric license should be present on both sides.
Regular Contributor

Hi,

since FOS V7 and the 16G switches you do not need a Fabric License anymore. The 8G switches need those Lic, but you get it normally with the switch. So the new B300 have the Lic already. Ask your contributer to give you the Lic for the old switches.

Kind Regards
Ralf
New Contributor

Hi, 

Thank you for your inputs, actually in our case teh SAN switches are 8G and FOS is below 7.X

Also the old san swictehs are very old and are out of support , so getting the licenses for old SAN Switcehs was not straight forward.

As could not do a ISL connectivity , hence , we did an online san switch migration from old to new SAN switches.

Now all the systems/storages connected to NEW SAN sw and we are working on storage migration .

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.