Fibre Channel (SAN)

New Contributor

2 Brocade300 in high availability

Helo everyone,

i have 2 bc300 and have to configure high availability solutions. I have a Dell MD3820f and 5 server (1 Windows 2003 and 4 linux), each server has HBA with 2 ports, one connected to bc300 A and other one connected to bc300 B. Dell storage has 2 controller and, as for server, one controller i connected to bc300 A and other one to bc300 B. I'm ready to configure multipath on server but, what about bc300 A and B? Do I need ILS trunk and so, ILS license or should create HA without ILS trunk?

Thanks in advance.

Giordano

Valued Contributor

Re: 2 Brocade300 in high availability

No, if you are intended to have HA setup, you cannot have ISL between your two switches.
Think of it: if you have an ISL, you merge your two independent switches into the single fabric, and single fabric means potential single point of failure, which contradicts with the idea of HA.
On the other hand, if you run two independent switches, this means that you have two independent fabrics, so a "fabric-wide" failure in one fabric should not have any impact on another fabric, which really sounds like HA.
New Contributor

Thanks again Alexey. So, it means that i can connect all devices to both switch (i mean storage and server) and don't have to use dedicated link between two switches? So, switches don't need different domain?

Thanks again.

Valued Contributor

> So, it means that i can connect all devices to both switch (i mean storage and server) and don't have to use dedicated link between two switches?

Right.

> So, switches don't need different domain?

Right.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.