Fibre Channel (SAN)

Occasional Contributor

1860 Installation Problems

Has anyone had any experience installing an 1860-2C in an IBM chassis?  I'm not having much luck getting mine to work....

Problem 1 - there isn't really any indication on Brocade's site as to which software/drivers to use for this partcular adapter.  I assume it's the v3.0.0.0 set, but there's no actual mention of an 1860 anywhere on the drivers or software pages.

Problem 2 - After installing the adapter and software, the card doesn't show up in HCM and the 10GbE adapters show alarms in Device Manager with the following error:

--------------

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

--------------

The chassis this thing is in should be more than capable of running this card and many more:

IBM System x3850 X5

4 x 10 core (80 logical cores total)

256GB RAM

Server 2008 R2 SP1

Contributor

Re: 1860 Installation Problems

Cmaier,

Please see comments in line:

Problem 1 - there isn't really any indication on Brocade's site as to  which software/drivers to use for this partcular adapter.  I assume it's  the v3.0.0.0 set, but there's no actual mention of an 1860 anywhere on  the drivers or software pages.

The driver v3.0.0.0 is the correct version for use with Brocade Fabric Adapter as well as for Brocade existing HBA and CNA products. Also, we are in process of updating the site to make that clear for customers who visit the drivers download page.

http://www.brocade.com/services-support/drivers-downloads/HBA/index.page

Problem 2 - After installing the adapter and software, the card  doesn't show up in HCM and the 10GbE adapters show alarms in Device  Manager with the following error:

--------------

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)

If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

This issue is related to lack of MSI-X resources to load the drivers for 1860. There are few workarounds to reduce and/or free up MSI-X resources:

1. Try disabling 3rd party storage or network adapters that are not being used.
  2. Try disabling RSS from the Advanced property sheet of Brocade 10GbE network adapters.
  3. If there are more than 1 vNIC on either of the two ports, you can remove additional vNICs.
  4. If the 1860 is being used as 10G NIC, Brocade Storage Device can also be disabled to reclaim unused MSI-X vectors
Occasional Contributor

This actually turned out to be an issue with the way the servers were configured.  They were shipped as 2-node sets to be used in a QPI configuration and, therefore, came without the needed QPI Wrap Cards to bridge the chassis together with itself (if that makes sense).  As soon as I actually connected the two chassis via QPI, everything started to work fine.

Thanks!

Contributor

I'm glad it has resolved at your servers' configuration.

Cheers,

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.