Ethernet Switches & Routers

N/A
bigiron

wan link between two bigiron rx

We have a 1G private WAN link between our datacenters using bigiron rx8 running OSPF. Are there any pros/cons if we configure the IP address directly to the ethernet port where the link is directly connected versus using a VE interface?  I understand using VE interface require more configuration but I'm more concerned of performance, does the VE have more processing resources compare to a single physical ethernet port?

Example Configs Below:

================================

Using VE interface:

interface ethernet 1/48

vlan 10 name siteA_wan

untagged ethe 1/48

router-interface ve 10

interface ve 10

ip ospf area 0.0.0.0

ip address 10.0.0.29/30

=================================

Using physical ethernet port:

interface ethernet 1/48

port-name siteA_wan

ip ospf area 0.0.0.0

ip address 10.0.0.29/30

Occasional Contributor
keith.r.kelley

Re: wan link between two bigiron rx

I have never seen any real or suggested performance issues related to using a vlan/ve versus a physical port.  I guess if you had a switch that was near 100% memory or cpu utilization this might be remote possibility.

I can say that I have assigned an ip address to an ethernet port thinking I would only ever need one port only to end up needing more ports later.  Now I always use a vlan and ve even for only one port.  This gives you greater flexibility for future needs and helps prevent some downtime later on if you ever need more ports.

Community Manager
Brook Reams

This question is more appropriate for the Ethernet Switches and Routers forum: http://community.brocade.com/community/forums/products_and_solutions/ethernet_switches_and_routers

Frequent Contributor
Grace.Chang

Hi bigiron,

Like said, this question would be most suitable in the Ethernet Switches and Routers Forum. I have moved your discussion thread there.

Thank you for using Brocade Communities!

Cheers,

Grace Chang

Global Community Manager

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.