Ethernet Switches & Routers

New Contributor

vsrp issue

As shown in attached diagram, I use one HP 5400zl to connect to the 2 MLX4. The MLX4 are vsrp enabled on vlan 100. If i turn on spanning-tree on 5400zl then A2 port is blocked and both MLX will become master. i don't think this behavior is normal. So what is the recommanded configuration on non-vsrp aware switch? turn off spanning-tree on the uplink ports? i tried to add bpdu-filter command on 5400 uplink ports but seems loop happened.

here is the vsrp config on MLX4_A:

vlan 100

tagged ethe 1/1

router-interface ve 100
vsrp vrid 100
  no include-ports ethe 1/2
  backup priority 110 track-priority 20
  advertise backup
  dead-interval 10
  non-preempt-mode
  link-redundancy
  ip-address 10.100.0.1
  track-port ethe 1/5
  enable

MLX4_B:

vlan 100

tagged ethe 1/1

router-interface ve 100
vsrp vrid 100
  no include-ports ethe 1/2
  backup priority 100 track-priority 20
  advertise backup
  dead-interval 10
  non-preempt-mode
  link-redundancy
  ip-address 10.100.0.1
  track-port ethe 1/5
  enable

New Contributor

Re: vsrp issue

correct diagram

jch
N/A

Re: vsrp issue

I too am dabbling in VSRP but I've not had this described issue.  However, I do not have a "non-include" interface.  In fact, I don't fully understand the purpose of the link between VSRP switches.  Do you?  My assumption is it is trunk port with an allowed list of VLANs equal to those in the VSRP VRIDs.  However, the configuration guide doesn't describe much about it and it's purpose.

Just my guess however is that in your topology, VLAN 100 is allowed across the non-include port theoretically creating a topology loop that is detected before VSRP effectively does it's job by blocking the forwarding state of the standby port.

If you've already resolved your issue or have anything to share, I'd be greatfull to hear.  I have a ticket open with Brocade support on a related VSRP issue I am testing.

Join the Community

Get quick and easy access to valuable resource designed to help you manage your Brocade Network.